Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting closer

Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Getting closer

Im getting that usual itch and im close to having the funds. I have become stuck on what i want.
CVA Optima elite .50cal/30-06 combo SS/Thumbhole/black

Or

.54 Lyman Great Plains rifle. Flintlock? Percussion?

The way i look at it, I already have a .54 flintlock big bore mtn rifle so do i really want another flintlock?

Im affraid that if i get the Optima Elite, Its going to turn out to be another inline. Then again i can order a 45-70 barrel later on and im just kind of snagged on what to get now.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Getting closer

Well Gander, the .54 Great Plains flintlock is on my list for Christmas. I just can't decide whether to go with the 1 in 60" twist, or the 1 in 32" Hunter barrel.

You know you'll never use that 30-06 barrel.

I'm having so much fun with my new/old Zouave .58 round ball shooter that I just have to recommend you find something like that.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:07 PM

I plan on calling deer creek one of these days and placing an order for a .58 barrel for my mountain rifle

And you're right, I more than likely will never use the 30-06 barrel due to it being to easy and really easy to eat up ammo.

Checking out the lyman GPR now and still havent decided to either get a FL or PL. [:@] i hate muzzleloaders, they are to darn addicting.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I know, I'm looking for another one myself. I wouldn't mind a revolver. Anybody shoot one? I put my hands on a triumph today. Oh, so close
Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

More than likely my next one will be a FL. I would like to find a 58 or 62 but want the RB rifled bore not smooth bore. This is proving hard to find for what I can afford.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

This will be my next one....

http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles04.htm
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks nice but it's not in my price range right now, maybe someday. I also like the Christian Springs rifle a page or 2 before that one.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

nchawkeye that is a nice rifle. Jim Chambers makes some beautiful rifles. I had a chance to "see" (no touch) one at a Rendezvous a couple years back. It was a work of art. Like I told the owner, that's too pretty to shoot. He then laughed and said the real beauty of it is the way it shoots.. It was a fine looking piece, and the owner kept it in perfect condition.

I have not decided what I want next. The custom flintlock is appealing. I do not need another inline. In fact I thought about getting ride of all but two of mine. The Whites would stay of course. But I am one of these nuts that about cry when they have to part with a rifle because I start thinking of this hunt I used it on, or that deer I shot with it, and I shoulder it, shake my head and put it back in the rack.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Dave but for slightly different reasons. I have only sold 2 guns over the years.The first was my first CF, amodel 94 30-30,to my brother with the stipulation that if he ever wanted to get rid of it that I got right of first refusal, he traded it for a peice of crap 22 relolver and I never saw it again (I would like to have given it to one of my son's). The second was my second CF, a Rem 30-06, to a friend at work, it was stolen from his house a few months later (who knows where or what happened to or with it after that). Now I'm hard pressed to sell any guns I have because I don't know what's going to happen to or be done with them.