Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story >

Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story

Old 11-15-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story

This last weekend was my last chance for Bowhunting this year, I went up to Ladysmith, Wisconsin.

I could make this story waaay too long so i will try to keep it short.
I have been passing up small bucks for the last 4 years. Even though I could have shot probobly 20 bucks in these last 4 years, I have been waiting for the big one. This weekend the bucks were running hard! We were seeing several of them running around! Friday at 11 AM I had a 6 pointer walk past me, and then Friday afternoon I finally seen the Biggen! I watched this brute make a big loop around me, cross-checking trails, nose tight to the ground, and he did not care about my grunt calls or anyting. I watched him for ten minutes, and then right before dark he headed into the slashings where I had previously heard another buck grunting away. Shortly after he entered the slashings, I could here them fighting hard! It was getting dark so I snuck out of there for the night.

The next morning I woke up with the worst headache I had ever had, and was pretty sick, But I went out there anyways, had a terrible start to my morning, didn't get out there until after light, and set up my climber close to the slashings where the 2 bucks were fighting the night before. As soon as I got up in the tree and get set up I could here a deer coming. I looked over and a spike cam all the way in and walked around underneath me and left. I couldn't believe he didn't smell me becuase I was still sweating. (it was 10 degrees out and i had too much clothing on for the long walk) after he left I heard another deer coming and that one was a small 8 pointer that was working the trails looking for does as well. I let him go too.

At about 8:45 I grunted really hard and seen a big deer coming through the brush about 150 yards away. He went through and openning and I could see the massive rack on his head! My heart started pounding as buck-fever set it. He dissapeard behind some brush and I didn't see him anymore. Then at 10:00 I grunted really hard again, and seen him coming from about 250 yards away, walking through some opennings and the sun was shining on his rack, the most beauiful thing I had ever seen! I grunted again hard, and he looked at me, turned and headed towards me slowly. He came into the high-open woods by me and stood there and made a scrape for about 5 minutes. He was only 100 yards out now and I could see that huge rack very well! I stood and get all ready, and he turned and started making his way towards me, I was perfectly calm this time, no buck fever at all, I had everything planned out, this was what I have been waiting for for 4 years! i drew back when he was at about 60 yards, behind some trees, and I waited until he got broadside. It was still a 30 yard shot, which I don't really like, but it was the best I was going to get. There was no branches in the way, perfectly clear. I was 99% sure that it was all over for this big fella. I settled that pin behind his shoulder, and squeezed the trigger, and WTF! The arrow took a completely different line then where I was aiming! It was about 3 feet back and just barely grazed the back of his back legs!!! He took a little jump, and slowly jogged into the slashings and looked back at me!
I was absolutely stunned! I could not figure out what in the world could have happened! I did everything right! I shoot in bow league and practice so much! I bet I shot 2000 times this year, and if my arrow is ever 6 inches off, I am concerned. There is nothing that can answer for 3 feet off target! After the buck left, I pulled out an arrow with a practice tip, and shot a clump of grass where the buck was standing, Perfect shot!

I was so sick, I did not know what to do. I got down, got my arrows, and walked back to the truck. I could not come up with an answer for myself! The only 2 things I think are possible, is either my arrow was not on the rest properly, or the string hit my sleave really hard. [:@]

I went back out that afternoon, knowing I would proboly never see him again. I didn't see a deer all afternoon, and then right before dark a doe came and walked right to me. I decided i was going to take her because I had to redeem myself. I drew back, let her walk past, and waited until she was about 20 yards away, quartering away, the easiest shot possible. And I whistled at her, she stoped, I settled that pin behind her shoulder, squeezed the trigger, and wack! The arrow hit the leave next to her! I was so stunned I didn't know what was happening! I wanted to jump out of my tree head first! She ran about 30 yards, stopped, turned around, and came back and walke around for a while 15 yards away from me just so that she could laugh at me! i easily could have gotten another shot at her, But I did not want it! I went back, ready to cry.

The next day I let the other guys go out, and I stayed back, I am not going bowhunting anymore this year! It sucks because I love Bowhunting more than anything, but now I don't want to go. It is so hard because I can't find an answer as to what happened! I was perfectly calm both times, did everything like I have done many times before, and the arrow just seemed to go the wrong way! the only possible answer I can think of is maybe I hit my sleave that hard, both times, But i didn't notice.

This is so aggrevating. 5 guys I know shot nice bucks these last 2 weeks, and this one would have been bigger then all of them. I will never forget this my whole life. And I don't know what I am going to do next time I am in the woods. I believe that this buck was about an 8 or ten pointer, at least 17" wide, and had great mass and tines that were at least 12" tall.

Now I am at work, and all I can think about is this.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story

Sorry to hear that. But things to happen past your control. Maybe your peep got bumped while pulling the bow up or something. Did you practice the night before? Also, I would suggest after taking a shot that misses completely from where you are aiming to make sure you check everything over and shoot a bit before hunting again.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:36 AM

yeah, I went home and shot three shots right in the bullseye, and that what really pisses me off with this whole deal. I can't blame it on my bow. I am clueless.

I am retiring from bowhunting for this year, and retiring my bow for good. Getting a new bow finally next year and starting with a fresh start and clear mind. I know this wasn't my bows fault, but i was planning on getting a new one anyways.

I sure would like to have this weekend back. Opportunities like that are very rare.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't quit man. Have you tried to shoot the broadheads? Maybe it's just something with them. I do think a new bow next year will help. You can't blame the bow but a new one can always help. Good luck and hang there. If it were easy it wouldn't be bow hunting it would be gun hunting.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:07 AM

Yeah, I shot my broadheads earlier this year, they were shooting perfect.

I sure wish I could put a finger on what went wrong. Sure would make it alot easier to deal with.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean. I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction. So many great bow minds on this forum. Someone will have an idea that you have not thought of. Hell someone has probably had the same thing happen to them.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had something similar happen to me earlier this year when i was shooting at a turkey. I shot wide by 3 feet!!! I pinpointed my mistake. This is what you need to do. Go and shoot at your target and DO NOT look through your peep. Tell me what you come up with after you try that!!!

*****EDIT*****
Make sure you have your target set up the same distance as the deer were from you!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:46 AM

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but are you sure you just didnt mess up the shot?

I only say this because I have done the exact same thing actually twice this year. It absolutely pissed me off. I am talking two 20 yard "easy" shots that I just blew. I gave one a haircut right on the very top of it's back (I actually think he ducked it) and the other I made a lousy shot and hit it in the hind quarter. Two easy shots with very different results. I think it is a combination of rushing the shot and not waiting till they were perfectly still and calm before releasing.

I also took shots right after to make sure everything was on and it was. So, it has to be user error. Hard to swallow but that's the only thing it could be. I got back on the horse and took a smaller buck and a doe a few days later and got my confidence back.

Take some more practice shots with the broadheads on. If they hit where you want them to then get back out there and shoot a deer. Make it a doe make it whatever, but get back out there and get some confidence. It helped me.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:54 AM

I definetly was looking through my peepsight. I went throught the whole routine, made sure the kisser button was set well in my lip, made sure i had the sight centered in the the peep sight, thought i did everything right. I really made sure that i was doing everything right the second time around.

I guess I gotta face it, i screwed something up bad, because my bow is right on, but I don't understand what it was. The only reason I was shooting at the doe was to rebuild some confidence after that crazy shot at that buck. I was absolutely calm, no buck fever whatsoever. My attempt at building confidence went really wrong. Even the cocky doe came back to laugh at me. [&o]
Old 11-15-2004, 08:59 AM

I forgot to add this...you may need to change your screen name now

Just kidding...good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.