HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 07:16 AM
supaarcher

Default Worst Nightmare Weekend--Story

This last weekend was my last chance for Bowhunting this year, I went up to Ladysmith, Wisconsin.

I could make this story waaay too long so i will try to keep it short.
I have been passing up small bucks for the last 4 years. Even though I could have shot probobly 20 bucks in these last 4 years, I have been waiting for the big one. This weekend the bucks were running hard! We were seeing several of them running around! Friday at 11 AM I had a 6 pointer walk past me, and then Friday afternoon I finally seen the Biggen! I watched this brute make a big loop around me, cross-checking trails, nose tight to the ground, and he did not care about my grunt calls or anyting. I watched him for ten minutes, and then right before dark he headed into the slashings where I had previously heard another buck grunting away. Shortly after he entered the slashings, I could here them fighting hard! It was getting dark so I snuck out of there for the night.

The next morning I woke up with the worst headache I had ever had, and was pretty sick, But I went out there anyways, had a terrible start to my morning, didn't get out there until after light, and set up my climber close to the slashings where the 2 bucks were fighting the night before. As soon as I got up in the tree and get set up I could here a deer coming. I looked over and a spike cam all the way in and walked around underneath me and left. I couldn't believe he didn't smell me becuase I was still sweating. (it was 10 degrees out and i had too much clothing on for the long walk) after he left I heard another deer coming and that one was a small 8 pointer that was working the trails looking for does as well. I let him go too.

At about 8:45 I grunted really hard and seen a big deer coming through the brush about 150 yards away. He went through and openning and I could see the massive rack on his head! My heart started pounding as buck-fever set it. He dissapeard behind some brush and I didn't see him anymore. Then at 10:00 I grunted really hard again, and seen him coming from about 250 yards away, walking through some opennings and the sun was shining on his rack, the most beauiful thing I had ever seen! I grunted again hard, and he looked at me, turned and headed towards me slowly. He came into the high-open woods by me and stood there and made a scrape for about 5 minutes. He was only 100 yards out now and I could see that huge rack very well! I stood and get all ready, and he turned and started making his way towards me, I was perfectly calm this time, no buck fever at all, I had everything planned out, this was what I have been waiting for for 4 years! i drew back when he was at about 60 yards, behind some trees, and I waited until he got broadside. It was still a 30 yard shot, which I don't really like, but it was the best I was going to get. There was no branches in the way, perfectly clear. I was 99% sure that it was all over for this big fella. I settled that pin behind his shoulder, and squeezed the trigger, and WTF! The arrow took a completely different line then where I was aiming! It was about 3 feet back and just barely grazed the back of his back legs!!! He took a little jump, and slowly jogged into the slashings and looked back at me!
I was absolutely stunned! I could not figure out what in the world could have happened! I did everything right! I shoot in bow league and practice so much! I bet I shot 2000 times this year, and if my arrow is ever 6 inches off, I am concerned. There is nothing that can answer for 3 feet off target! After the buck left, I pulled out an arrow with a practice tip, and shot a clump of grass where the buck was standing, Perfect shot!

I was so sick, I did not know what to do. I got down, got my arrows, and walked back to the truck. I could not come up with an answer for myself! The only 2 things I think are possible, is either my arrow was not on the rest properly, or the string hit my sleave really hard. [:@]

I went back out that afternoon, knowing I would proboly never see him again. I didn't see a deer all afternoon, and then right before dark a doe came and walked right to me. I decided i was going to take her because I had to redeem myself. I drew back, let her walk past, and waited until she was about 20 yards away, quartering away, the easiest shot possible. And I whistled at her, she stoped, I settled that pin behind her shoulder, squeezed the trigger, and wack! The arrow hit the leave next to her! I was so stunned I didn't know what was happening! I wanted to jump out of my tree head first! She ran about 30 yards, stopped, turned around, and came back and walke around for a while 15 yards away from me just so that she could laugh at me! i easily could have gotten another shot at her, But I did not want it! I went back, ready to cry.

The next day I let the other guys go out, and I stayed back, I am not going bowhunting anymore this year! It sucks because I love Bowhunting more than anything, but now I don't want to go. It is so hard because I can't find an answer as to what happened! I was perfectly calm both times, did everything like I have done many times before, and the arrow just seemed to go the wrong way! the only possible answer I can think of is maybe I hit my sleave that hard, both times, But i didn't notice.

This is so aggrevating. 5 guys I know shot nice bucks these last 2 weeks, and this one would have been bigger then all of them. I will never forget this my whole life. And I don't know what I am going to do next time I am in the woods. I believe that this buck was about an 8 or ten pointer, at least 17" wide, and had great mass and tines that were at least 12" tall.

Now I am at work, and all I can think about is this.