Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 West Virginia Rut? >

West Virginia Rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia Rut?

Old 11-12-2004, 07:34 PM

Default RE: West Virginia Rut?

I just got my trail cam pictures back and I got 19 pictures in 5 days from a well used
trail going through a huge funnel. 12 pictures were of bucks and the other 7 pictures were does. All of the buck pictures were night time photos. In years past the end of the 2nd week of November through November 30th is the only time I ever get pictures of mature deer during daylight hours cruizing for does. All other times unless it's just a fluke I never get pictures of mature deer during daylight hours. I really think it takes a hot doe to bring the mature deer out of the thickets during daylight hours. Next week should be a great week to hunt here in West Virginia!!!
Old 11-13-2004, 04:53 PM

Today, I tried to hang a new stand because my old stand has went totally dry, as has alot of my other spots in the area, so I rode the 4-wheeler to the end of the prop. I've been hunting to check out a place that always held deer in the past. I did find a spot for a stand that is full of sign so hopefully I can get on one soon.

After being in the woods half the day and seeing nothing, I left to go back to my parents and get change so I could buy a stealthcam from my friend. When I returned, there was a fair sized buck running a doe right where my Explorer was just parked 35 min. ago. D@MN the luck!! Anyway, atleast I saw something. The past couple of seasons have been a total flop for me. I'm so discouraged I've threatened to hang it up many times, but I just keep pushing.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:32 AM
TDH

Hey HANKFA & antlergetter it sounds like the hunting is getting good in the county. You are right about the week of Thanksgiving. The big boy don't start chasing untill that time of nov. I always wait for everyone to go North and to gun hunt so I have the woods to myself for bowhunting. It seems that people come south to bow hunt now. What part of McDowell do you hunt? I hunt Big Creek Hollow aka(Gary).
Old 11-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope it is good here in the next few weeks. It surprised me to see nothing, then full out trailing and chase with no cruising bucks seeking in between. They are calling for possible rain around opening day of rifle. I've had more of my share of that so far!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buck's have been cruising and chasing for over two weeks here.

I've seen several mature buck's durning mid day cruising for does when driving to and from hunting locations.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:51 PM

hey joshkeller what county are you in bud? we own a camp and 80 acres on shubach ridge up doolin road in new martinsville was down this weekend to bowhunt and saw some rutting activity i didnt score though hopefully next weekend i will if hammer one thanks for all the great replys guys!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:54 AM

antlergetter,
i hunt primarily in mason co. between myself and my dad we have seen several bucks cruising during the day. only 2 or 3 'mature' bucks though.
saw 2 spikes chasing a doe saturday. i think its only gonna get better though.
i hunt some with my buddy down in logan co. he has seen 2 big bucks during the day so far, but i think he jumped both of them out of their beds.