Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Drag scent rags

Old 11-10-2004, 09:09 PM

Default Drag scent rags

What would be the best thing to use for a drag rag? All stores are sold out. And how far behind you do you put it?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:20 PM

Default RE: Drag scent rags

I asked the same question in another forum. I believe it was the deer hunting forum(scent wicks). Some of the replies where that a tampon would work. Makes sense. Went to use one the other day and left it in my truck so I can't say if it works. Another option was to use cotton string and make a "cat o nine tails" and drag it that way. As for distance and length I can't help you. Sorry.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:26 PM

Default RE: Drag scent rags

Sounds good to me, makes alot of scents.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Spike

I didnt wanna spend money on a drag rag so i made a homemade one and it worked last year but i guess it just depends. I cut up a sock and took both strings out of an old shoe. I put a string thru each half of the sock and tied it. I then tie the other end of the string around my boot. It brought in many bucks last year. So just try that with a doe urine or estrus urine.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used both the scent wicks and the tampons with sucess. I like the wicks more for they have a large hole to which you can tie the string, which I use about 4-6ft of carpenters thin white trot line cord, and when I get to my stand, I can hang on a limb or branch. I put the whole shooting match in a glass jar to keep from scent contaminenation and then in the frig. I have about 4 of them and if its hot, I wash them out at home with a hose and let air dry outside for several days before reusing. The reason I like the longer line is that it keeps the deers nose down and the scent right there for a longer area. I have put them on my boots, but I feel that they wick out too fast and then pick up moisture from the ground from after being stomped in the dirt and grass.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

WOW!!! Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:56 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I have used both the scent wicks and the tampons with sucess. I like the wicks more for they have a large hole to which you can tie the string, which I use about 4-6ft of carpenters thin white trot line cord, and when I get to my stand, I can hang on a limb or branch. I put the whole shooting match in a glass jar to keep from scent contaminenation and then in the frig. I have about 4 of them and if its hot, I wash them out at home with a hose and let air dry outside for several days before reusing. The reason I like the longer line is that it keeps the deers nose down and the scent right there for a longer area. I have put them on my boots, but I feel that they wick out too fast and then pick up moisture from the ground from after being stomped in the dirt and grass.

Did you ever use the RED tampons.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RWK
Did you ever use the RED tampons.
No!!! New ones only. Thank you!!!!