Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 blood on the arrow >

blood on the arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

blood on the arrow

Old 11-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default blood on the arrow

Has anyone here ever made a good shot on a deer and yet not have very much blood on the arrow.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: blood on the arrow

My arrows have always been covered in blood.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

good question! i hit a 5 point last week with a grim reaper expandable. it was a pass through shoulder shot completely broadside hitting center a little high at 15 yards . the arrow had some muscle fiber on it but no blood at all. the fletching looked brand new. i would imagine it passed through the lungs but i never found a drop of blood on the ground or on the arrow. spent 2 days looking and never found the deer. i have white cresting on my arrow and im confident i saw where the arrow hit center high of the shoulder. this is the strangest hit deer i have seen.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:48 PM

Whack them in the lungs and there will be plenty of blood. My guess is that when you shoot into meat (shoulder) the flesh serves as a squeegie and wipes the arrow clean on the way out. If you smell the shaft I bet it had an fresh meat smell.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:41 AM

That is a good question. I am noticing this year that my son's kills have very little blood on the arrow. He has four kills, one a liver and one lung, one a liver straight through, and two dble lungs. He has a youth bow, Browning Micro-Midas, his arrows are moving at 164 feet per second. All of his kills have very little blood on the arrow. Speed is the only thing I can see that it could be but why?

His kills have all had great blood on the ground and three of the four died within sight! Just not good blood on the arrow. Does the slower speed allow the blood to wipe off as the arrow exits? all were pass throughs. In trying to teach him to use the arrow to help with tracking, I have little to show him.

My kills have been normal amts of blood. My bow shoots 216 ft/sec.

Greg