Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This is why they call it hunting not shooting >

This is why they call it hunting not shooting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is why they call it hunting not shooting

Old 11-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default This is why they call it hunting not shooting

I practice all the time, understand deer anatomy, try to make smart shots and it still doesn't work. In the last three weeks I have let 5 different bucks (3-8 pts) walk waiting for the big boy. A heavy 10 pt shows up last Friday morning and is broadside looking at a doe 40 yds away. I line it up and squeeze the shot only to watch him duck completely under the arrow. I couldn't believe it. I thought he was totally distracted by the doe, guess not. Fast forward to yesterday morning. I raked the trail to my stand last Sunday because it was supposed to be very dry and then freeze (noisy leaves). Anyway, as I am walking to my stand (silently) at 5:40 a.m. I can hear deer walking in the leaves all around me. I had doe in heat on my boots as I walked in and when I got to my tree I hear a deer coming towards me and picking up speed. I was actually getting kind of nervous so I quickly climbed up a couple of steps on my tree. No lovin' for me, thanks. I get up the tree as fast as I could and get setup. The deer were all walking to the east and I soon heard a buck fight. I knew it! The big bucks got by me in the dark! All I saw after that was 9 antlerless, 3 pt, and 6 pt. Left work early to get in my tree by 2:30. I just get set up and in comes the 110 P&Y 8 pt that I have let walk three different times. Only now he is only a 90 P&Y 6 pt because of broken tines. I knew I heard a fight in the morning and he obviously lost. About 3:30 a 6 pt and another 3 pt show up. They all came from the east so I figured the big boy would show sooner than later. Five minutes before shooting hours end I spotted him about 40 yds out. He stopped at 30 yds so I drew and aimed for the heart in case he jumped the string again. I heard the arrow hit with a thump and he took off. I flew down the tree because it was getting dark fast and I wanted to get him to the truck. No arrow, no hair, no nothing. I looked where he ran but nothing. Went back this morning and finally found the arrow covered in blood and greasy tallow. I figured I hit the brisket. Still no blood on the ground anywhere but I walked all the trails anyway. I feel just sick because I only hit about 2 inches below where I aimed but he never moved. This is the first buck I have wounded and it stinks. At least the buck should live another day and be much wiser to boot. I seriously doubt I will get a third chance at that 10 pt.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 AM

Default RE: This is why they call it hunting not shooting