Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Shooting Coyotes.. Without a predator call? >

Shooting Coyotes.. Without a predator call?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shooting Coyotes.. Without a predator call?

Old 12-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Coyotes.. Without a predator call?

I have never shot a coyote but this year am going to try. They are ruining the grouse hunting around us and taking out turkey's. Is there any way to hunt them without a call ?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting Coyotes.. Without a predator call?

after butchering our cows/pigs, we generally take the carcuss out near our field edge for the varmits to munch on. We often see coyotes/wolves eating on them. I generally lay snares out around the carcus instead of shooting. But you could do it that way. Taz
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 AM

Default RE: Shooting Coyotes.. Without a predator call?

Down here in the Missouri bootheel where the land is flat, you can catch coyotes heading back for cover or dens. If I spot one and can get close enough, I hit the ground with a bipod or shoot off the hood of the truck. One has to be careful not to shoot from a public roadway as it is illegal. They usually hit overdrive for 3 or 4 hundred yards, then throw on the brakes to look back to see if you're chasing them. During their little sprint, I am getting ready for the shot, when he looks back, I zoom to about 12x and drop the hammer. This method works great when the ground is frozen, most farmers encourage coyote hunting and will let you have free reign any where on the property.