Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Unnatural scents... What do you think? >

Unnatural scents... What do you think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unnatural scents... What do you think?

Old 11-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Unnatural scents... What do you think?

I'm not one to practice scent control much. The extent of my scent control is to walk through the horse manure pile on the way to the woods. IMHO, the wind is your friend, or it's not. With that said, I was thinking about unnatural scents in the woods. For example, most people freak if they have to walk through a garage or barn that has oil on the floor or smells like gasoline or exhaust. For the urban deer that are used to people smells like exhaust, gas, stuff like that, you think it really matters if you smell like these things out there? Maybe even a cover scent? I'm not saying to douse yourself in gasoline prior to stepping into the woods, but I wonder just how used to these smells the deer are. I hunt a section of woods behind a horse barn. Next to the woods is a diesel tank. As you know, diesel is messy and stinky. The deer are obviously used to this smell that's been there for years. Or even people smell for that matter. This section of woods adjoins the development I live in with many houses and the horse facilities, so the deer have to be somewhat used to human odor seeing as they have humans around constantly. I realize deer are deer, so I'm not being naive. Tell me about your experiences with urban deer.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Unnatural scents... What do you think?

Even in urban areas the deer know what's not suppose to be there. For scent control, I wash my clothes and myself in scent free stuff and I use hunter deorderant. It works very well. As luck would have it, everytime the wind is in my favor it will change in the direction of the deer as they walk in close. They notice but it doesn't seem to bother them all that much. I figure because it isn't as strong.

What I do like is smoke from leaves or a chimney. This is very good cover because it's natural this time of year and it does a good job at cover scent. Deer don't seem to mind it one bit.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer adapt real good, but know what to expect where they live
Something I did stupid when I moved to south Teaxs was put out apples for the deer.They ran for mexico.No apple trees within miles of that brush country
Old 11-10-2004, 04:21 PM

IMO people put to much time and money into scent control, If the wind is in your favor than thats all you need. I have never used hunters pit stick or scent free soap or clothes wash. once in a while I will take a squirt of scent elimenator but only if a hunting partner has it. People may tell me that I am not to smart but the last hunt I went on I had gone out with brand new whites(due to it was rifle season there) on right from the pro shop and didn't spray down or use any cover scent other than the wind and on ground level had plenty of does and bucks stand and feed 20yrds from me and not even know I was there looked right at me and nothing went right back to eating going on my experience as long as the wind is in your favor and you keep still they won't see me. people can say what ever they want or prepare for a hunt however they want( spray shower in scent free wash. garrgle with doe piss what ever) thats great to each his own all I need is the wind in my face and a straight arrow and a sharpe broadhead. Good luck to all hunters.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

The problem I see with only relying on the wind is it changes at times. Also what if the deer come in from your downwind side? Do you just say oh well maybe the next one will come in up wind. Why not cover all angles?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:54 PM

I don't worry about deer coming up from behind me (downwind of me) because I have done my homework every year and know our land like the back of my hand and I know when the deer are moving and how they are moving only me and a few other people(family members) hunt our land If the deer come up from behind me its my fault for setting up wrong(99% ground hunter am I) but like I said I do my homework I spot year round almost every weekend and It doesn't matter what anyone says deer are extremely predictable. even when the rut is on they change trails and minor things like that but they still head the same way in the morning afternoon and evening every day depending on the weather but I have it all logged in a book(ten years worth). I don't have to worry about hunter pressure. and like I said I have never used any scent control other than the wind and I have had no problem with deer coming right in to me. But Where I live the weather is kind of funny in the wind only comes from like two directions and when it comes from a different direction that it ususally doesn't than we know we are going to get a storm (thunder, snow what ever) but SK, Canada is funny that way. I do use doe in heat or straight doe urine stuff like that but never any cover scents or body wash ar camo wash.