Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunter survives attack by angry buck >

Hunter survives attack by angry buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunter survives attack by angry buck

Old 11-10-2004, 07:48 AM

Default Hunter survives attack by angry buck

This was a article in the local newspaper about a local hunter. The link to the article is http://therepublic.com/main.asp?From...SubSectionID=1 If you dont want to look at it, here is the article.......

NORTH VERNON — Sometimes you get the deer, and sometimes, as avid hunter Jim Mick can attest, the deer gets you.

Mick’s most recent hunt went awry when a large and angry buck challenged him to a hand-to-antler duel.

The deer won.

The 69-year-old North Vernon man was bow hunting alone in Decatur County Monday morning, when he drew the ire of a concealed buck after straying into his territory.

“He came out of the tall grass and briars, when I realized it, he was on me already,” the Center Township assessor said.

The 150-pound deer rushed headlong into Mick’s chest, scratching him and knocking him to the ground. The animal bored its antlers about 3 inches into his upper thigh, missing a major artery by a fraction of an inch.

Then the fight was on.

“All I had time to do was throw my hands up and grab his antlers,” Mick said.

The combatants wrestled in a briar patch for about 10 minutes, which felt like an eternity for Mick.

During the impromptu wrestling match, Mick tried to put a nearby tree between him and the disgruntled deer, where he was finally able to push the animal away.

When man and beast were exhausted, the deer decided that he had had enough and retreated.

“We were both beat when it was over,” Mick said.

“It was probably a draw, but I think I got the worst of it. I don’t think he had any gouge marks on him,” he quipped.

The hunter estimated that the buck had 10 to 12 points, but couldn’t say for sure.

“I wasn’t taking too much time to count,” he said.

Suffering cuts, scrapes, bruises and a deep gash in his leg, Mick fashioned a make-shift bandage and trekked back to his vehicle, where he called his son-in-law, Scott Clark, and his wife, Anna.

Clark took Mick to Greensburg Hospital, where he drew a lot of attention.

“They apparently hadn’t seen many accidents like that at the hospital,” Mick said.

Doctors treated the battered hunter’s wounds, put him on pain medication and sent him home for some rest and relaxation.

Mick will have to take it easy for a few weeks and will miss out on the remainder of the bow hunting season.

However, the hunter hopes to recover in time for muzzleloader season.

“I’ve hunted for years; I thoroughly enjoy it,” he said “I’m going hunting some more; that ain’t gonna stop me.”

Deer attacks, while not unheard of, are rare. The usually timid animals typically run from humans.

But, for whatever reason, the buck that Mick met was in the mood for a scrap.

“I had heard about (deer attacks) and seen it on TV before, but didn’t think it’d ever be me,” Mick said.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunter survives attack by angry buck

He should of rubbed its belly
Old 11-10-2004, 08:19 AM

Interesting article. I was surpised the gentleman farred as well as he did.[:-]
Old 11-10-2004, 08:40 AM

I am curious to know if he had any scent sprayed anywhere on his boots or something. Maybe he had some dominant buck urine or something like that on his boots for his walk in to help draw in some deer. Hard to say really, but he was very lucky to be able to walk out after that assualt.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:57 AM

Dang !! Great story,, I think this deer doesn't like "Assessors" LOL
Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 AM

When I lived in the mountains of Colorado there were quite a few instantces of elk chargeing hunters, atv's, and trucks. But I don't remember a single buck attack. I'll bet he had some type of scent on him that drove the buck crazy. That's where a guy needs to be packing a good fixed blade knife and start acting like he was Rambo!!!.... He's a very lucky camper that he didn't get squered in a spot where he bled to death before he could get out of the area. I'm afraid it would be a personal thing between me and that bruiser for the rest of the season.....bet I'd win in the end.....
Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

dang when im 69 years old i hope that i can scrap with a 10-12 pointer.. and lest face it i have never seen anything lower than 175 pounds with more than 8 points.... thats one small deer, i betcha he underestimated the weight of it... i have seen deer tear trees apart, i couldnt imagine what they "COULD" do to a human.

what a trooper. hand to hand with a deer, and he lived to hunt the deer another day.

what a story.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:34 AM

What a whimp. I would have gotten up, grunted and stuck the beast right in the boiler room.

Actually the guy was pretty lucky. I've often though about what a fight it would be if I got tangled up with a mature animal. At least the guy has a good sence of humor about the situation. I hope he get out there and tags the buck durring muzzleloader season.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:38 AM

Ill be lucky to even be hunting when im 69 let alone wrestle with a buck.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:06 AM

wow someone has a gaurdian angel, had the antlers hit that artery things could have been alot worse, n whats even worse, there's a mankillin deer out in those woods, the deer may have won the battle but hopefully he can get back out muzzleloadin season and win the war

Quick Reply: Hunter survives attack by angry buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.