Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This has become the "I wounded one" forum >

This has become the "I wounded one" forum

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This has become the "I wounded one" forum

Old 11-07-2004, 11:22 PM

Default This has become the "I wounded one" forum

I know most of you are going to get on here and say "don't read the thread" if you don't like it. I am finding myself coming to the bowhunting forum less and less because of the endless post about wounded deer. This is really getting ridiculas. I know wounded animals is a part of hunting, but man I'm getting sick of reading all the post. Don't some of you people have books on finding wounded game? I do. The last thing I'm going to do is get on here and post about a wounded animal. There is no advice anyone on this forum can give you, that is better then a book on tracking wounded deer, written by a professional with hundreds of tracking under his belt. I recommend "Finding wounded deer" by John Trout Jr. It is full of diagrams and pictures. There is even a section that shows how a deer will walk when hit it a certain place. Buy it, read it, carry it with you, and find your deer, then come on here and post your picture. I'm not trying to knock anyone, or challege the tracking skills of anyone, but remember, you shot it, your there, your the only one who can put the pieces togather and find your trophy.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:37 AM

Default RE: This has become the "I wounded one" forum

I agree, but I guess most people that post don't know how to track a shot deer and are just looking for advice. You should know in advance how to bloodtrail if you are hunting. You owe it to the quarry. It is like this every year at this time though, and it does get on my nerves. I hate when people post questions that cannot be answered by anyone but them; "Was my shot good?" "I made a good shot but I don't know where the arrow hit" That's the reason I started using arrow wraps and will never hunt without them.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Practice and only ethical shots ,clearing shooting lanes helps also. My dad always told me .You going to shoot at it you better make sure you kill it or I would get my butt beat.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:36 AM

m69,
I couldn't agree with you more. I realize that there are a number of young hunters out there and in this forum and the last thing I want to do is discourage them, but PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK. We owe it to the perpetuity of our sport and to our quarry to make the best, ethical shots we can even if it means passing up marginal or low percentage shots. I realize that in bowhunting there will be wounded animals but our duty is to keep that to a minimum by practice and good judgement. JMHO
Old 11-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with everything you said. However if a tid bit of information can help the person recover their deer by posting something, then it's worth it. Yes 99% of the time there is nothing we can tell them to help. They ultimately will be the only ones to figure it out and should have more tracking knowledge, better understanding of shot placement, etc..... But the thing is unfortunately it's not going to change. It's going to continue to happen. Because a person doesnt' post their story here doesn't mean they arent' going to go in the woods and wound a deer. So, other than the painful disgustingly sick nature of some of the stories, I'd rather see them and possibly help. JMO
Old 11-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You should know in advance how to bloodtrail if you are hunting
How can you know in advance if you are a new hunter. Say it was someones first deer, no prior track jobs to go from, how are they supposed to know? A book will teach these guys everything they need to know? I highly doubt it.

For once in my lifetime, I am going to agree with NY Bowhunter. IF we can be a part of teaching people to track, then we should help.

And if you are coming to the message boards less and less because of these posts...well then it has been nice having you here. Cuz I don't beleive it will ever stop.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey IL_BOW_MAN, I couldn't of said it better!

I thought this forum was here to help not hinder.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with a lot of the things you mentioned Muley, and I also highly recommend the book you mentioned.

How can you know in advance if you are a new hunter. Say it was someones first deer, no prior track jobs to go from, how are they supposed to know? A book will teach these guys everything they need to know? I highly doubt it.
Maybe, mabe not, but at least by reading the book before hand there is a starting point. And going into the woods prepared sure can't hurt anything. Wouldn't you agree? There are two pages from the book that a beginner can laminated that is sort of a summary of all the hits that can be paced in a backpack. It's a great reference pont, especially if you do not know how long to wait. There is also a set of posters that I would also recommend that can be bought from the Deer Shack. Included is a disection of a real deer, deer anatomy, blood types, hair types and location, and some other neat stuff:

http://www.deershack.com/bookstore/posters/posters.html

IF we can be a part of teaching people to track, then we should help.
I would also agree with that 100% and do not have a problem what so ever on people posting and asking help in tracking.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

How can you know in advance if you are a new hunter
It's my son's first year bowhunting but he's been on several tracking jobs before. Being a new hunter shouldn't mean new to the woods.

What I've done for years is this. If I shoot a deer and feel it needs time I'll come home and when I go back my son comes with me.If he isn't around I'll bring the deer home and when he get there we'll go out into the woods and he'll track to the gut pile. He's been tracking deer since he was about four yrs old.

If a buddy calls me to help track Tyler is coming too. He's learned alot from doing this even on short track jobs.

Another thing he does is the the deer tracking competitions on another site we visit.

Books I'm sure could be a big help but doing it for real is invaluable.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

What I've done for years is this. If I shoot a deer and feel it needs time I'll come home and when I go back my son comes with me.If he isn't around I'll bring the deer home and when he get there we'll go out into the woods and he'll track to the gut pile. He's been tracking deer since he was about four yrs old.
Ditto!! Best thing you can do for a future bowhunter. My son goes with me on EVERY track job.

Quick Reply: This has become the "I wounded one" forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.