Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lost a deer today >

Lost a deer today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost a deer today

Old 11-06-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Lost a deer today

I can't believe it. I've been waiting so long, and today a shootable buck (for me) came in. I was using some estrous lure and calling a little, when some does came in, and the buck came charging in after them. He was a 4 point, but for me that's a shooter (I've never shot a buck).

He came in quickly, and then stopped at 12 yards right in one of my shooting lanes. I drew back, put the pin at the bottom of his chest behind the leg (it's sighted in for 20 yards), and that's when it happened. When I released, I saw the arrow hit. It was about half-way between his back and stomach, about 8 inches behind the back of the shoulder blade. A gut shot. What happened????

I didn't have buck fever. I know what it is, I've had it before, and this was not the issue. From 12 yards, I can hit something the size of a softball every time. I had practiced the night before, and I was right on.

Looking back, I think right before I released, the buck took a step forward, causing the arrow to hit too far back.

Anway, he ran into a pine grove 30 yards in front of me and disappeared. He came out 20 minutes later, with a piece of intestine hanging from his side. He walked slowly to the edge of the woods 35 yards to my right, and went into them. I waited 15 minutes, got down, looked at the arrow (just a slimey substance covering it), and returned to the house. That was at 7:30. At 1:00, my dad and brothers and I went searching for it. The blood trail was non-existant, there was just some hair. I'm positive we covered nearly every square inch within a quarter mile of my stand, and we found nothing. He must have gone farther than that. We looked for him until sunset. Nothing.

I'm absolutely sick about this. I would pay anything to have made that shot a complete miss, rather than a gut shot. Looking back, I can't see anything I did wrong when I shot.

At this point, is there any chance of recovery left? What's my best route? I'm going out again in the morning, hoping beyond hope he might show up again.

Thanks,

-Spike Buck
Old 11-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lost a deer today

Sorry for your misfortune. My first deer I shot was a decent 8pt. I did the same exact thing. You more than likely just flat out screwed the shot up, it happens.

I would suggest getting a good dog. Probably the only way you will find this deer. Chances are he is still alive. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:48 PM

Find a source of water. He could have gone a lot further than a 1/4 mile. Hope you get em.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several years ago a guy hunting on the same property I was hit a deer and thought it was gut. I went back with him in the morning.Found little drops of blood.Did come up on the doe ,still alive but could not go very far without falling.Unbelievable the stomach was almost totally out of the deer on the ground and still alive. It was Sunday and no hunting allowed on Sundays in Pa. All we had was a knife. So I took my knife and used my belt and put my knife on one of my walking canes. Used the home made sword to finish it off . Deer have a remarkable will to live.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:34 AM

Bummer!! I'd go back and start looking for any kind of scavangers....especially any birds circleing. Hope that helps..
Old 11-07-2004, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brian was right look for water a gut shot deer will go there if it can. Also do not give up on the search. I sure hope you find it.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:48 AM

when you practiced the night before, did you do it with exactly what you'd be wearing hunting? it's necessary. i just had to go out with my cold weather set up and do some experimenting. with the thermals, a thick shirt, hunting jacket and my asat leafy jacket over it i was hitting left because the string was hitting my bow arm ever so slightly. but, first i had to get right with my headgear on to make sure none of it was affecting my shot. i suggest first shooting with whatever you'll have on your head to see if that's it. when that issue/nonissue is solved, move on to what you'll have on your torso. i ended up haveing to put a sock with the end cut off over my bow arm to ensure no string contact. i got a handwarmer at wally world that straps around your waist, it really helps with a sitting down shot in a treestand also because you can pull your camo and what not under it so it won't be bunched up around your chest and shoulder when you shoot. to make a long story short i think that's what happened. you can't practice in a sweatshirt if you'll be hunting with a sweatshirt and a jacket. just my .02
Old 11-07-2004, 12:29 PM

My bet is you didn't bend at the waist when you aimed and fired. It is so easy to forget to do this when shooting from an elevated position and you will usually end up with a high shot. The comments you might have read about changing point of impact when sited at ground level and shooting from elevation are due to the lack of bending at the waist.

No waist makes waste
Old 11-07-2004, 10:13 PM

I had a similar experience on Election Day. The deer went from a perfect broad side shot to quartering toward me right when I pulled the trigger. I hit in the shoulder area and exited the belly. There was no blood trail at all and we searched in the dark for about an hour. The next morning we woke up early and started searching. 7 Guys went different directions and I ended up finding the deer 100 yards back in a straight line from where I had shot. The only thing that helped me find it was that I heard a Raven that had beaten me there by 5 minutes. I ended up hitting one lung and guts; but just getting out there and looking worked out. I wish I hadn't taken that shot.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:00 AM

Thats sucks! Just 1 question when you saw him after the shot for the second time with its guts hanging out was he close enough for another shot??? If so how come you didn't shoot again??? If not its cool things happen and you gave it your best to recover the animal then you paid it its respect!