Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what to do?

Old 11-05-2004, 04:54 PM

Default what to do?

I jsut shot a doe about a hour ago and followed the blood trail about 100 yards and i found about 1/4 of my arrow the feather part and the blood trail stopped. The blood is kinda bright red and theres like sludge on end of the arrow inside it were it broke off. theres some decent blood no big puttles but mostly big droplets. Where do you think i hit it and what woudl you guys do?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:12 PM

Default RE: what to do?

it was also following a deer trail
Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM

Smell the arrow shaft for a guts type smell. Regular blood and flesh smells clean and nice but guts smell like guts. Bright red with bubbles is goung to be lung blood. Your bright red blood may not be a lung hit but it could be. You didn't really give any shot placement details so there isn't much to go on here. If you have guts there could be a lung or liver (liver bleeds dark red and thick) involved and either may take some time to kill the doe. You should wait it out (say 6-8 hours) and then have a look. If you get in there and bump her I might find her in my backyard in Texas so give her the time to bleed and die first.

If you can give us some more details as to the incident maybe the recommendation will change but it sounds like sluge is guts this time.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:35 PM

i shot a buck last year and had the arrow breakoff. in my case, i hit about 3 inches too far forward and hit him on the shoulder. i had a bunch of crap in the shaft. if you had a gut shot, i would doubt that the arrow broke off. i would think you hit her on a bone. i know when i got myself in the hand there was a bunch of crud in the shaft. after a while everything is gonna smell pretty gross.
slayer
Old 11-05-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the replys Theres no guts on the shaft i followed the blood trail and the blood just stoped the low tonight is gonna be 36 you think it will still be good tommorow morning if i find and were should i look?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The deer will be fine in those temps.

Read the tracking deer thread. It has more info than you'll get here asking a quick question.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:07 PM

What do you guys think i should do from were the blood trail stopped? Should i look in thick cover were the deer prolly went down? Do wounded deer run uphill or usually down hill? I think i may of shoulder shot it. What kind of blood trail do shoulder shot deer leave?