Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm REALLY bad at this! >

I'm REALLY bad at this!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm REALLY bad at this!

Old 11-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Spike

Default I'm REALLY bad at this!

This is my first post, but I've been enjoying the forum for the past month or 2>

Let's get down to it. I stink at bowhunting!!! I was able to take off 3 days this week specifically to hunt. Yesterday, before the rain started, I was unable to get off a shot from 10 yards on a doe, before spooking it. After that, I spooked a spike and a 4 pointer (non-shootable as I'm from SE Pa). After getting soaked, I decided to pack it in, lo and behold there was a doe behind me that I was able to also spook.
Upon returning home my 5 year old asked how hunting was, I told him I saw 8 deer. He proceeded to say "Daddy I thought you went HUNTING, not looking"

Here's the question. What is the order of importance?
scent control(washing, scent lok clothing etc)
smoking in stand(separate from scent control)
camo pattern
tree stand height
tree stand cover
movement while on stand
Old 11-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Spike

Default RE: I'm REALLY bad at this!

I also want to say that this is my 2nd full season, and totally obsessed (my wife thinks I'm nuts). This has replaced my golf obsession.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:00 AM

I am becoming more and more convinced, through personal errors of my own, that movement (or better- lack of movement) on stand is the number one key to success, more so than camo. It is also my weakest point. I would then say scent control, because every now and then, by shear chance, the wind will work for you even if you're not paying attention to it, but movement can/will get you busted regardless of anything else you did right.

So, I would go:

No movement
scent control
camo
treestand cover (tied with camo)
treestand Height

I leave smoking off because I don't do it so I don't know the effects, except that besides the odor you have the movement of your hands, which is bad. I don't know if the sight of the smoke cloud would spook a deer or not, or the odor of it.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:15 AM

Well it sounds like stand placement and scent control are ok. I say this because the deer are coming into range. My guess is the deer are picking up your movement, or just outlining you in the tree.

First do not draw your bow until the deer are either looking away, or hid behind a tree. Also, draw as quiet as possible.

Second, always be ready. if your ready then you wont have to move as much for the shot.

Finally, sometimes I will put my tree stand on the backside of the tree from the direction I think the deer will be coming. This way it will help you hide a little better.

Also, I am a smoker. I don't smoke while I'm in my hunting clothes. Also I don't smoke while hunting. I know it can be tough sometimes. But it works ok for me.

RBBH
Old 11-05-2004, 10:17 AM

I'm with by23856 --

Movement is the number one problem deer hunting as long as you stay upwind of the deer. They can see better than many give them credit for. However, movement presents a problem since you can't look behind you without turning your head.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

camo pattern
tree stand height
tree stand cover
movement while on stand
(IMO) There all important! [&:]
Old 11-05-2004, 10:25 AM

Movement at the right time is the key to success. I was in my stand this morning and was only 15 feet off the ground in a tree without much cover. I dropped my face mask first thing this morning so my face wasn't covered at all. I had deer all around me and directly under my stand and I was never picked off. I'm learning when and when not to move as the years go on. Movement, scent control, then camo.
By the way, your not bad at it, just learning.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:36 AM

IMO
Scent control
Treestand cover (will conceal small movements)
Treestand Height (will also conceal small movements)
Movement in stand (if 2 and 3 are good you can actually get away with a fair amount of movement)
Camo (although I own way to much of it if there is ever such a thing)
Smoking (before I quit I've seen plenty of deer while smoking. Some even down wind)

IMO it's best to be between 18-22 feet up a tree. This gets you high enough that you're not obvious to the deer but no so high that you'll be shooting an overly steep angle. I'm a sent control freek and think this can't be overstated. Just stay patient and let the deer move into position and when you are obstructed from their view is the time to make your move.

You might think your bad at this but you've choosen the most difficult(IMO) method of taking a deer. Stick with it becasue the rewards are unmeasureable.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:46 AM

Hehehe. I think we have all had days like that.

AS for your list, here are my opinions

-scent control(washing, scent lok clothing etc) - you dont want to stink.

-smoking in stand(separate from scent control) - its hard not to stink when smoking. I know lots of people have shot deer with a smoke in their mouth but I would avoid it. It also causes you to move more

-camo pattern - I use advantage timber. I think most the big names work.

-tree stand height - the higher you are the more you can get away with but the steep angle will shrink your target. I like 15 - 20 ft

-tree stand cover I don't worry too much about this. I do try to pick a big tree so I dont stick out so much. I also like multi trunked trees or trees that are close together if they are available.

movement while on stand - try to move just your eyes and head. Easier said than done.

Here are some other general suggestions

I am a firm believer in full camo Including face cover. The last two deer I have drawn on saw my movement but still calmed down after a second or two. Stupid mistake on my part but I was able to get away with it. They must have thought I was just a branch blowing in the breeze?

Don't look a deer in the eye. Nothing good can come of it.

Try to draw before the deer gets so close. If they do get in close pick your moment to draw very carefully. Being patient is the hardest part of hunting.

Good Luck
Old 11-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTDoc,

camo pattern
tree stand height
tree stand cover
movement while on stand
In my opinion the first and most important thing is tree stand height. If your high enough, your scent is dispersed farther from the stand and if deer are near your stand, most times the scent will filter by above them. Also, the higher you are the more movement you can get away with. Obviously, if you 12 feet off the ground you will be spotted quicker than if your 20+ feet off the ground, it's just common sense either way, you don't want excess movement. Your camo pattern is also important but like I just stated, the higher you are the less you have to worry about it. Tree stand cover is probably the second most important issue here. You don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. As for smoking while your hunting, I don't think it would be productive, but I don't know cause I don't smoke. If you can't find a tree that allows you to get high (20+ feet up), then these issues will change in order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.