HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm REALLY bad at this!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 10:46 AM
EatsLead

Default RE: I'm REALLY bad at this!

Hehehe. I think we have all had days like that.

AS for your list, here are my opinions

-scent control(washing, scent lok clothing etc) - you dont want to stink.

-smoking in stand(separate from scent control) - its hard not to stink when smoking. I know lots of people have shot deer with a smoke in their mouth but I would avoid it. It also causes you to move more

-camo pattern - I use advantage timber. I think most the big names work.

-tree stand height - the higher you are the more you can get away with but the steep angle will shrink your target. I like 15 - 20 ft

-tree stand cover I don't worry too much about this. I do try to pick a big tree so I dont stick out so much. I also like multi trunked trees or trees that are close together if they are available.

movement while on stand - try to move just your eyes and head. Easier said than done.

Here are some other general suggestions

I am a firm believer in full camo Including face cover. The last two deer I have drawn on saw my movement but still calmed down after a second or two. Stupid mistake on my part but I was able to get away with it. They must have thought I was just a branch blowing in the breeze?

Don't look a deer in the eye. Nothing good can come of it.

Try to draw before the deer gets so close. If they do get in close pick your moment to draw very carefully. Being patient is the hardest part of hunting.

Good Luck