Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do you ever feel like nature is against you? >

do you ever feel like nature is against you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you ever feel like nature is against you?

Old 11-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default do you ever feel like nature is against you?

I'm getting SO FRUSTRATED. I go hunting primarily with one friend of mine. Our first day out (opening Oct. 1st) he scores on a decent size doe... I was happy for him (either of our's first deer)! He starts to slow down on hunting cause we were planning a trip out to lake Carlyle so he was saving his buck tag for them. Here in Illinois you can take 2 bucks with any weapon but no more than 2 a year. So we go to Carlyle and have a horrible weekend, BUT last time out in the stand he comes out with a small buck. Happy for him, a little less than before, but still happy

That was 2 weekends ago, this last weekend we took off from hunting. We went on Wednesday morning and had a small buck come in but was walking away before I saw him. Then he goes out yesterday evening and passes on 3 does and 2 bucks! So I go out with him this morning and we see SQUAT! NADA! NUTHIN'! ZILCH!

UGH! What have I done to offend nature!?! [:@]
Old 11-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do you ever feel like nature is against you?

Your not doing any thing wrong! Thats just the way it go`s sometimes. Don`t give up hang in there Thing will turn around for you. You could go back out this week and score on the biggest buck of your life You just never know?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:10 AM

My father always said you have to alert and ready because your entire season can change in a split second. Right now he's having some good fortune and seeing deer which is great. What you need to do is stick with it, stay alert and keep putting you time in and your shot will come.

It's kind of like fishing. I've trolled around a lake with my father, both using the same lure and watched his royaly kick my but for the better portion of a week. Then after 4 days of him cleaning up things changes and I took over and mopped up on him for the rest of the week. Most of the time there is no rhym or reason to it. Hang in there!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I know that's the REAL reason... I forgot to mention tho, that I have spent, literaly, double the amount of time in the stand! I guess it will just feel all that more satisfying when it comes... right?[>:]

PLUS, i'm not competing with him or anything like that... I'm glad he's seeing/getting deer. It's just that we're in the SAME area and I see squat when I'm out...[:'(]
Old 11-05-2004, 09:19 AM

I guess it will just feel all that more satisfying when it comes... right?
That's a great way to look at it
Old 11-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Adams, hunting next weekend in ILLINOIS... you have a free place to stay. somewhat free food, at least for when you will be getting up to go hunting we got cereal, and for snacks we got some JERKY!

so when can i come pick you up from the air port?

just let me know...

bscofield, dont worry about it, the rut will start to hit next weekend by my calculations, and you will see some more action... nature is starting to show more promise, she was wailing on us last week!

good luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

ahhhhhhhhh yes the unspoken behind the scenes psychological warfare with the hunting buddies!!! The true test of will power. Don't be shy you can tell us that you ARE competing with him and want to kick his butt. [:-] Let him have the sighting numbers and doe/small buck etc..... If I were you I'd hold out and shoot yourself a MONSTER the last hour of the last day of the season. He may be smiling now, but you'll have the smile for the next 11 months.
I know what you're talking about and have the same situation with a buddy of mine that hunts with me a lot. (except I'm on the other side) He has seen 1 doe while on stand in the first 3 weeks of bowseason. I almost don't want to tell him what I saw on stand after a hunt.(but I do) I can tell it's just eating him alive. But, I'm not going to rub it in too bad cause he's the kind of guy that will stick a 150 class buck the last day.
Hang in there it'll pick up for ya and be that much more rewarding when it happens.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have noticed over the past 44 years there are some people that no matter what they do wrong they always score on a deer,then there is the opposite kind of people.No matter how much they do right it just is harder to bag a deer. ????????????????????????
Old 11-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

All a person can do is their best. Concentrate on continuing to develop your skills. We are assuming you have done your hunting homework, that is, practice a good scent control routine, put yourself in the best possible locations available for the conditions you are hunting in, being ready to take the appropriate actions for any given hunting situation, and being thoroughly familiar and efficient with your equipment. After that, it is a roll of the dice.

The rain falls on the just AND the unjust alike. Tough times never last, tough people do. Dry spells happen in every sport. You have to keep stepping up to the plate and continue swinging.

Sometimes you can do everything right and still not receive your just reward. Other times a guy can commit multiple errors and still score. That is just the luck of the draw. A whole season can swing one way or the other, at the most unexpected time, in just a matter of seconds OR LESS. Be ready, don't be lulled to sleep by past results, your chance will come. [8D]

I can tell you this, when success comes, it will seem so easy.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:25 PM

Stay positive and happy for your partner.

Wanting good things to happen to you is fine................but when they happen to someone else you should be just as happy for them.

I know it's hard when one guy seems to have all the luck but nothing is worse then feeling like your hunting partners are NOT happy you got one.

Your turn is coming.