Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Smoking hunter V.S Non smoker >

Smoking hunter V.S Non smoker

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoking hunter V.S Non smoker

Old 11-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smoking hunter V.S Non smoker

How many of you guys think that a smoking cigs scares deer? IMO i dont think it sets of an alarm to them... like human scent does. what is your guys opinion on this subject?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smoking hunter V.S Non smoker

Personally i don`t want any kind of scent that is not normaily there to alert the animal smoke human what ever? Cover scent is a diffrent story!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:13 AM

I wished i did'nt smoke,, but it is a favorite vice of mine[8D] I do believe it does effect the sighting of deer,,and makes them stay away. IMO
Old 11-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Spike

My smokes stay at home and I wash my hands and face(unscented) before heading out. [:'(]
Old 11-05-2004, 08:21 AM

Until this year I never smoked in the woods and thought people who did were messing up the hunting. Well this year Ive been a little more relaxed in my hunting and smoked every single hunt and I was able to tag out on 3 deer in less than 2 weeks including a 134 7/8 10pt.
I still dont think its a smart thing to do but I know on atleast one of the deer that it brought her in. She got directly downwind, caught my scent and slowly turned and walked my way sniffing the air trying to find the source of the scent. I was able to take her at less than 15yds.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

break it down in it's simplest form. It could! It has the potential. It adds an element that could spook deer so why do it? Does it? Who knows for sure except the deer and they aint talking about it.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I've done it with and without ,
and there was not a noticeable difference .
Old 11-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can honostly say that I've never seen a deer while I was smoking a cigarette, while hunting. I've seen them immediately after putting one out. I've seen a lot of deer both during smoking hunts and non smoking hunts and I've been skunked at both as well.

I think the non-smoker will have an advantage over the smoker when it comes to scent control - all other things being equal. However, I'm confident enough in my setups that I allow myself to smoke at certain times/conditions while hunting.

Read my post about a monster buck encounter yesterday in Team 4's contest thread - I had just put a cigarette out when all this happened.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's kind of like others already said - any foreign scent to a deer may alarm them. I will say though that my buddy smokes like a chimeny in the tree and usually has to put out his smoke to shoot his deer. I've seen deer walk into him from downwind too. IMO, the bottom line is this: scent control may certainly have its place, but the wind is either right or wrong. That's hunting.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

I think it has a big affect on staying scent free. I smoke but when it comes to hunting or anything related to hunting I dont light up. My hunting clothes etc have never been exposed to any kind of different scent. I was canoeing down the scenic part of the pocomoke river one time, and I smelt a strong order of a cherry flavored pipe. eventually a 1/4 mile or so down stream we ran across a couple that had beached for a picnic and hanging from the guys mouth was a pipe. When you put any kind of smoke or other smell into a fresh wooded area your gonna smell it. and I know if I could smell it a 1/4 mile or so down stream the big boy in the area smelt it a mile or two down stream. So as far a smoking while deer hunting Id say NO. the non-smoker is ahead of the game.

Quick Reply: Smoking hunter V.S Non smoker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.