Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Move stand or use scent seeing 9 deer!? >

Move stand or use scent seeing 9 deer!?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Move stand or use scent seeing 9 deer!?

Old 11-04-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Move stand or use scent seeing 9 deer!?

I have FINALLY found an awesome hunting spot, a football size field where I have seen 7 deer and 9 deer the last 2 times I have hunted it.

They are coming out about an hour and a half prior to sunset. The field is grass and they spend their time grazing.

There are 2 Does and 2 Fawns that enter from a brushy area opposite my stand (100 yards away), another Doe and fawn that enter from their or the wood line to my left 75 yards away). Today there were two Bucks and a fawn/buck that enter from the corner to my right (50 yards away but no shot from my stand).

The problem is that they are coming close to me but not close enough, about 40 yards. On one hunt I had the biggest doe VERY close but could not draw.

I'm not sure if I should try to set up closer to the corner that the Bucks come in from and where the deer seem to wonder over to while grazing.

The bucks are chasing the does but the does are not receptive. The deer won't come to my buck grunts but wont run off either.

I'm going back out tomorrow and was thinking about the following:

1) doing a scent drag to my spot to try to draw them in
2) trying a doe bleat
3) moving my stand to the corner of the field where the bucks come in
4) doing nothing and hoping luck draws them in close enough for a shot

Opinions please!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Move stand or use scent seeing 9 deer!?

If you've got them patterned like you do, and if you can remain scent free and quiet, I'd try sneaking into that corner area.

If you can't get into the area for some reason, try a doe estrous bleat when the bucks show up. The Can call works well. I'd combine this with some religiously descented rubber boots and a estrous scent drag past your stand. Only use a little bit.......I've heard 12 drops of liquid scent on a drag freshened every 75 yards.