Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stay in the woods, or go to the field? >

Stay in the woods, or go to the field?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stay in the woods, or go to the field?

Old 10-31-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Stay in the woods, or go to the field?

This is the first year I have significant time off (Nov 2-Nov 6) during the rut, so I'd like some input on my strategy.
I have a couple of funnels that are kind of back in the woods a ways, not real close to any of the bean, corn, or hay fields, that I am planning to hunt during the morning and middle of the day. These are funnels between bedding areas, not between feeding and bedding areas. My question is, would you stay in these stands all day until its dark, or would you leave these stands with two or three hours of daylight left and go to a couple of stands that are on field edges, assuming the does will come out to feed and the bucks will follow?
Thanks
MNpurple
Old 10-31-2004, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Stay in the woods, or go to the field?

It depends on what you want to hunt as to where you should hunt. During the rut you can hunt about anywhere in the timber and see deer...If you want to hunt the big buck you need to hunt the does. If you can locate the does and keep hidden then the mature bucks in the area will definately be there sooner or later. I have always beleived that you should hunt cover in the morning and fields in the evening...this seems to work quite well for me here in iowa.