Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 another face to face enounter with nice buck >

another face to face enounter with nice buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

another face to face enounter with nice buck

Old 10-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default another face to face enounter with nice buck

So I am sitting in the same spot (on the ground) where i saw a nice 6 pt a few weeks back, (http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...1&key=&#796794)
and I here a familiar sound. I look out and see a deer about 40-50 yards away. I get the binocs up an see the horns (nice 8 point, big body), but assume he's going to stay out of range, but pick up the bow and nock an arrow, just in case. Then he starts right at me and stops about 18 yds. away looking right at me. He is a bit spooked, but doesn't bolt, turns and starts walking broadside at about 17 yds. I draw and am about ready to let fly and he stops. All I can see is his head (& big horns) & swelled neck to his front shoulder - a tree is blocking his vitals. He's still a little jittery and takes off - not on a run just a trot. He actually stopped about 35 yards away. I heard as he bounded off from there. If he had only taken 1 more step

What a nice buck though and to have him at less than 20 yards on the ground was awsome.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: another face to face enounter with nice buck

just curious?? why on the ground?? need a stand?? and "then i knocked an arrow"???? you didnt have one ready and holding your bow ready to shoot and on the ground w/ limited time to see them first?? i dont get it!
Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

it's a place I can't put a stand - not my land (not big on climbers, etc. - too small for me) and its an area that I have seen several nice bucks over the past few years.

I have a stand for my bow that I bought for hunting on the ground but it doesn't stay well in the loose soil where my camp is. bow sits next to me and an arrow next to it. As for having my bow at the ready - not going to happen. I can't sit there for 4-5 hours+ with a bow on my lap (not comfortable). And it's hard to read my book - that's right, my book! Again, can't sit for 5 hours with nothing to pas the time.

Both deer I saw from that spot I was able to get the arrow nocked and drew on this one. Odds are decreased on the ground but man its fun. I will be making a ground blind (out of sticks, branches, etc.) next year at this spot
Old 10-31-2004, 05:56 PM

hehe, thanx for sharin. I always enjoy the hunting adventures. Even if it breaks your heart to be that close, it sure beats sittin at home. Heck, I'd rather sit and see nothing all evening >D. Good Luck!!

~DH