HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - another face to face enounter with nice buck
Old 10-31-2004, 04:13 PM
doughboysigep
Nontypical Buck

Default another face to face enounter with nice buck

So I am sitting in the same spot (on the ground) where i saw a nice 6 pt a few weeks back, (http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...1&key=&#796794)
and I here a familiar sound. I look out and see a deer about 40-50 yards away. I get the binocs up an see the horns (nice 8 point, big body), but assume he's going to stay out of range, but pick up the bow and nock an arrow, just in case. Then he starts right at me and stops about 18 yds. away looking right at me. He is a bit spooked, but doesn't bolt, turns and starts walking broadside at about 17 yds. I draw and am about ready to let fly and he stops. All I can see is his head (& big horns) & swelled neck to his front shoulder - a tree is blocking his vitals. He's still a little jittery and takes off - not on a run just a trot. He actually stopped about 35 yards away. I heard as he bounded off from there. If he had only taken 1 more step

What a nice buck though and to have him at less than 20 yards on the ground was awsome.