Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Interesting noise (buck) last evening. >

Interesting noise (buck) last evening.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Interesting noise (buck) last evening.

Old 10-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Interesting noise (buck) last evening.

You know, after spending just over 20 years sitting in a tree bowhunting, I heard something new last evening. So far this year I haven't hunted my "honey hole" tree so yesterday afternoon I hung the stand. I was all set up around 3:00 and settled in. My treeestand is in a white pine that overlooks a heavily overgrown CRP field that borders a cornfield. For those of you that have been on this site for a while, you've heard me refer to this treestand several times the last 6 or so years. I digress,

Around 4:20 I hear this "whhheww" or "sneeeeze" or whatever the heck it was about 6 continous times. A pause and then again for 2 times. Now this noise is only about 60 yards or so away in the CRP field but I can't see anything. It's not the noise of a deer blowing at you but more of the sound of a snort/wheeze without the /wheeze. Trust me, I've heard enough darn deer blow at me to know that sound. I sit and watch the area and don't see anything. I figure there is a deer bedded there and perahps it's sneezing. After several minutes I called, first buck grunts then a couple contact calls. It wasn't 10 minutes or so that I spot the shrubery moving and see antler tips.....The pulse rate quickens a bit. I grabbed the binos and identify a buck. A respectable 7 pt but not a shooter for me this year. As he worked across the CRP field through the underbrush I grunted to him again...this got his attention. He worked over to the cornfield, turned and came right to me. At 28 yards he pauses looking for me (the buck that grunted) and I drew, placed the 30 yard pin low on his heart and......whispered, "I win" and slowly let the bow down and hung it up. I glassed him for a while admiring the amazing animal that they are and he walks into the hedge row I'm sitting above....

At this point I hear him..."wheeze" or "sneeze" again for 2 consecutive times confirming it was him indeed that I had heard in the brush. Now in 20 years of bowhunting I assumed I heard every noise a deer could make....

Do you suppose he was simply clearing his nostrils like we would or a dog would. I don't think he was sneezing but it sounded more like he was just blowing his runny nose clear. Suppose that's right?

Again it was a snort/wheeze without the wheeze. I found it interesting.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Interesting noise (buck) last evening.

No experience with such noises. But I don't doubt it a bit, seems every season I hear or see something "new".
Old 10-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob!

I think while he was sniffing around he might have gotten something stuck up his nose and might be trying to clear his nostril's .I've heard deer do this in the past and it's just an opinion.

nubo
Old 10-24-2004, 07:47 AM

Poor thing dident get his Flu shots.
I WOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM TO THE VET,,,,,after I shot him
Only kidding,nice story
Old 10-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe he had allergys. Seriously, maybe he was just keeping his nostrols wet by blowing out his nose to catch a scent better. LOL at Duse500.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:30 AM

Sounds like a sound I heard on a website that had live recordings of deer. They said it is an intimidation sound before two bucks fight. Doesn't sound like that was happening in your case though. Interesting.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:27 PM

Wish i could help you identify this peculiar sound from this deer. Great story nonetheless. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

While hunting from my favorite stand last year I have a doe and a button buck come into my setup and she started sneezing. Apparently as she was brousing she sucked something up her nose and must have sneezed 15 or 20 times. It was to the point that her fawn was jumping everytime like it was scareing him.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend I heard some sounds I've never heard before. At first, I thought the sound was a wild dog attacking a fawn or something...because it sounded like a growl...but yet it wasn't low pitched like a dog...more of a higher pitched yelp. It was in the morning, and lasted only a few seconds. I grunted a couple times...and a spike walked right by me 10 minutes later. I heard the same sound a second time a couple minutes before the spike walked by..but in a different direction. The spike was acting normal..not alert..just very calm and by itself. It wasn't a snort/weeze..b/c I experienced one of those up close and personal a few weeks back. Any idea on what I heard?

Quick Reply: Interesting noise (buck) last evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.