Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts) >

Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts)

Old 10-24-2004, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts)

I R a Red Neck![] Sorry couldn't resist. Yep I've eaten road kill. Actually depends where it was hit. Front shoulders are OK, cause there's not much meat there anyway. Just took the tenders, backstraps and both rear haunches. Yum, Yum. If they've been hit in the rear, there's usually not much to salvage. Jello...Yuck!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:26 AM

i just eat roadkill possum ....they are better
Old 10-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I said help me through it in my truck but upon skinning it, most all the meat was jelly....I had to discard of it
, the few times i have tried the meat was so blood shoked it was useless, i have non hunters call me from time to time telling me somebody hit a deer,do i want it? i guess it would depend on how it got hit or run over, if it was the head only and i could get some quarters out of it i probably would, hit near the rear, i'm not touching it[:'(]

i just eat roadkill possum ....they are better
, now thats some fine eatin, plus most times you aint got to gut em
Old 11-02-2004, 05:15 AM

YUMMY,,, Hey Beggars can't be choosey[8D]
Old 11-02-2004, 05:33 AM

Used to years ago but get enough of my own venison now. In NJ you have to get a tag from the police and it is illegal to take even the rack off a buck if you don't have that tag. Silly isn't it? Does anyone have these laws in other states?

Last night I cut the spikes off a road kill for my son. He liked how small it was!

Don't tell anyone!

Greg
Old 11-02-2004, 08:26 AM

I have on a couple of occasions. My mother hit a deer back about 8-9 years ago and the police let her bring it home. I's a messy job to process the deer as a collision with a car makes a mess of the animal. blunt trama isn't pretty under the hide.

I also know a guy who's the local harbor master and he generally gets the calls if the person who hits the deer dosn't want it. H'e give me a few 5lb bags of venison sausage that is absolutely delicious.

I'm not into eating opossum or racoon or squirell or pole kitty but a fresh deer kill shuldn't IMO be passed up. You won't get as much meat as if it were shot with a bow but anything that is recovered is better then letting the deer rot. If the a particular quarter looks bad then scrap it. If you can only salvage 1 side of the deer that ok too.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:24 PM

I havent tried it it nor seeing myself doing it unless i was the one who hit it. I would only keep that deer bc it costed me enough in car repairs. Sick i know but other then that i dont see i would.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:40 PM

I have eaten "roadkill" more than once. I actually got to work one day and found out a person had just hit one on the road and ran out there with a friend and the deputy put it down with some buckshot, so it wasn't even dead when I got there. It would have gone to waste otherwise. That particular deer was hit in the front, and both hindquarters and the backstraps were in perfect condition. Tasted great!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother and i hit one in a van, We keeped it, skin it out, the only thing we were able to save was the back strapes, I don`t` have any problems with it at all
Old 11-02-2004, 03:03 PM

only if it was hit by an american made car [&:]

Quick Reply: Road Kill Dinner (Poll of sorts)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.