Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what a morning

Old 10-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default what a morning

[]i had an unbeleivablely bad morning. Mr. murphy was in rare form. this may take a while but here goes...

The last time i went to this particular stand i got covered head to toe in cockleburs. As i was leaving the stand i saw the end of a logging road and decided to use it next time. I did not take the logging rd out b/c i was going to check out another area.

Anyhow fastforward to this morning. It was 35 degrees, light frost crystal clear, stars in the sky, the kind of morning hunters dream of...almoast to good to be true

I found what i assumed to be the other end of the road, of course its dark but it is a road. so i start down it and have to cross a couple of downed tree tops. no big deal. I keep going and it keeps getting thicker more treetops and a few briesrs. I think this will get better i cant be far from the end. WRONG!!! I end up losing my hat to briars (did find it). I was walking on tree tops and brush now, not ground At one point it was like sombody grabbed both ankles and i fell face first into the brush. no of course i was making a TON of noise. I fact i jumped a few deer. That was bad but ive jumped deer b4 w/o ruining the hunt so i figured it would be worse to go back through this stuff than to keep going. it was just as bad

I fell hard one more time and then made it to the clearing and to my treestand. I was sweating profusely and mad but i was going to hunt it was too nice of a morning. so i make it to my treesand put my bow down and realize MY QUIVER IS MISSING.[:@][>:][:'(]. Now im angry. So i just get in the stand and wait for light so i can go retrace my steps and find the quiver. Then ill just go to another spot. At leat the giant buck never came and stood under my stand while i was waiting for it to get light enough to follow my trail.

when it got light enough i started looking. I was on a flat about 80 yds wide and sort of long . I tried four time to retrace my trail. NO luck i didnt realize the thickness i went through. I was not able to find the quiver and the arrows and NAP nitrons attached to them, and my hunt was ruined for the day.

I had to go and buy a hip quiver because my old detacheable was from and old fred bear package bow and i didnt want to take my sights off to put on a new one. The store was out of cheap hip quivers only had the 36 dollar model. good greif. also had to buy new broad heads.

on the bright side its not the rut, i didnt miss a trophy and i didnt drop and break my outback.

thanks for letting me vent. Id love to hear any others disaster stories, they are probably worse than this one but hopefully not.

good luck all
Old 10-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what a morning

Sounds like a rough one!!!!!! I think you have good things coming your way after that!!!!!!! Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL sounds like my typical morning just trying to get to the bathroom
Old 10-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

good one cardeer
Old 10-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now i dont feel as bad about breaking one of my thunderheads on a piece of limestone when i was shooting at a turkey and my arrow somehow missed about 1 foot right.... I dont know what the hell happened so when i got home, i shot the target about 20 times and hit where i was aiming every time...
Old 10-23-2004, 01:38 PM

LOL wvdeerhunter! Only if you could of had a microphone on so we could here you swearing and talking to yourself as you were walking through all of that. And then to only find out you lost your quiver..... lol Sorry, but that's one funny story. I've been "sort of" lost like that myself once or twice and it's no fun at all.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:14 PM

Gee whiz! Mr. murphy was in rare form, Sorry to hear of your plight with the woods and quiver.[&:]
Old 10-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still think a bad day hunting is better than a good day of work!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:44 AM

wvdeerhunter22:
Some days Mr. Murphy is in rare form. I feel your pain man!

Just out of curiosity -- did you find your quiver later in the back of the trunk? <-- That's something I would do.....

Good luck next time!