Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow Hunting Swamps or Fields? >

Bow Hunting Swamps or Fields?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Hunting Swamps or Fields?

Old 10-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow Hunting Swamps or Fields?

When I am bow hunting, I preffer to hunt swamps rather than fields. I know some people don't have a choice to where they hunt and what not, but what are your view on it? Although swamp hunting may not see the most activity, alot of deer pass through. Field hunting has its positives though. Seeing more ground, seeing more animals. What do you think?
Old 10-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow Hunting Swamps or Fields?

It depends. Do you want to see deer or shoot deer? To see deer, setting up on a field edge is a good way to see the animals. In our area though, where there is a fair amount of hunting pressure, many times the deer don't get to the fields until almost end of hunting light. To take a deer, set up closer to the swamps, and catch them with plenty of light to shoot. May not see as many deer, but may have more opportunities to shoot one versus sitting on a field.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like swamps ,of course the skeeters get bad in the early season
Old 10-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to hunt field edges nearby a swamp. Deer love to bed in a swamps tall grass and reeds which usually skirt the swamp itself. I look for travel routes going from swamp to destination feed fields like corn, soybean, even backyards of people living nearby. I have found that many deer travel from a thick swamp grass to a nearby backyard offering a food source like apple trees. After browsing these yards they head to a bigger source like a corn field.

www.hunt-blog.com
Old 10-23-2004, 02:18 PM

It depends on the deers travel habits. If they come into the fields an hour before night, that would be my choice. I wouldn't expect a nice buck to come out, but does and small bucks might (there is no definite when it comes to deer). If the mast is thick and acorns are on the ground, I'd be in the woods or swamps.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:46 PM

I prefer to hunt the swamp myself, we really have marshes that are full of some super deer around here. Field edges can be productive for seeing lots of deer .