Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3D target as a deer decoy???? >

3D target as a deer decoy????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D target as a deer decoy????

Old 10-20-2004, 08:30 PM

Default 3D target as a deer decoy????

Hi there!
I have a question: Has anybody used a 3D shooting target as a deer decoy? I have a 3D McKenzie Tuff Buck that I use for my practice and I was wondering if I can used to attract bucks close to my stand? Has anybody tried this before? I was doing some reading and find out that I can use some cheap plastic bag to make a "moving tail" for my decoy, so it will look more "realistic" (at least it should work with paper decoys, but would it work on a 3D target?

Any other advice on this or comments?
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:53 PM

Default RE: 3D target as a deer decoy????

I have used mine for the last couple of years to stop deer so I can get a better look at them.I hunt a place where I have blinds and some old road beds.the deer usually cross them pretty quick,so I set up my target , so they will stop and look at it.sometimes they will stop and start to walk to me.the decoy is anout 5' in front of the blind so I am thinking of using a white cloth on a string fo tail movement.????
Old 10-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I'll tell you this: You're not unique in your thoughts; I've wondered the same thing before. I'll be interested in seeing how many people have done this successfully.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:37 AM

I use a 3D target for a decoy off and on. Very interesting to watch deer interaction with it. The best advantage I have seen is it gives the deer confidence to come out in the open instead of hanging up just inside the trees. They seem to drop their guard somewhat.

I'll put the antlers on early in the season and take them off closer to rut. Last year had a decent buck slinking through the trees. When he saw the deke he made a beeline straight at it across open pasture about 150 yds. Got close enough to touch before he realized he had been had.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been there and done that, and had the exact same results as with a traditional Flambeau Deer decoy. Some good, some bad. I've had bucks who spook at first sight of the decoy, I've had others come walking in stiff-legged with the hair on their back up. I really think that decoy results depend heavily on deer population in your immediate area, and obviously the time of year you're using them. I've had some pretty big bucks spook at the sign of a decoy with a much smaller rack, possibly because there's an even bigger buck in the area and they're tired of getting their butt kicked, who knows. One thing for sure, it can make for some interesting hunts.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I use my 3D target to Decoy deer. I have shot two does off it last year. No bucks so far but have had the small ones come into investigate. I have only used i about 4 times with good results each time.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:16 AM

I always wondered if the 3-D target would work. So last year I gave it a try. What a great time I had. The decoy mixed with scent, grunt calls, can calls and rattling really changed my mind about decoys. I had 5 bucks come to me in one evening. I never did see the Big boy but it sure was fun watching the little ones. I pinned toilet paper to the tail and ears for movement. It never hurts to try!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I've often wondered the same thing...I don't own a 3D target, but I could always take my cousins or brother-in-laws out with me...they don't need it.

Fun to try different things.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I'll tell you this: You're not unique in your thoughts; I've wondered the same thing before. I'll be interested in seeing how many people have done this successfully.
Count me in as someone who has tried. I have had mixed results though as well and I chalk that up more to what Justin suggested rather than because it was a 3D deer target instead of an actual "decoy".

However, I have the flambeau bedded buck/doe that I plan on using this evening. I will let you know how it works....hopefully with pictures.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Spike

im glad i found this thead, i have been planning on taking out my 3d target this late season to use as a decoy,I do have a couple ?S though in are late season which in late nov would it be a better choice to use it as a doe with doe in heat scent? or as a buck with some type of buck scent?
I have always just killed my deer in early season so this is all new to me

Quick Reply: 3D target as a deer decoy????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.