Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Some broadhead field reports, b52, ironhead xp, boss bullit, muzzy >

Some broadhead field reports, b52, ironhead xp, boss bullit, muzzy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some broadhead field reports, b52, ironhead xp, boss bullit, muzzy

Old 10-20-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Some broadhead field reports, b52, ironhead xp, boss bullit, muzzy

Sorry, been busy, will give quick run down on two fawns i took with my antlerless tags so far this season, one in sept. and one in oct. Just have muley buck and whitetail buck to go...standards high this year so may end up taking does instead if don't see what i want.
Anyhow, first fawn i stalked on ground, already kicked out from mom, first one i'd seen, that or mom was hit by car or something. I was coming out near last light, hunt was basically over so i thought i'd see how well i could ground stalk a whitetail. Anyhow it was late sept. and i got to 60 yrds and she could hear me but i knew i was covered and wind was in favor, she came to me, 8 yrds, couldn't pick me out, so i decided to draw and see what she'd do. I drew slow and just about to full draw she did a quick explosion and only went 10 yrds and stood broodside lookin at me. I put the pin on and shazzam, she jumped it a bit, i went through center of liver with B52 broadhead at 278.5 fps...didn't even slow down. She went 120 yrds, i had blood for 100, then she did a little death bolt into a ravine. She entirely bled out inside mostly.

Second fawn, last night, finally cold enough so i don't have to butcher right away(butchering tonight). We've had a warm fall, and i just couldn't stop myself from hitting the trigger on the first one i took. I've had these same does/fawns under me at mere yards all season long, there has rarely been a night when i haven't had a doe easily inside 20 yrds etc. but anyhow, thats how i've done things so far this season. Last night a doe/fawn came out as they usually do and i figured tonight would be a good night to butcher, leaving the does behind to keep the boys around for the rut, don't need lots of meat right now so quite happy to take the 'veal'. Sharp quartering away at 20 yrds, with Ironhead XP mechanical...my first try with mechanical. Entrance was about 2" back of ribs and exit was just under opposite front leg. I caught tip of lung and two slices into bottom 1/3rd of heart. I presume one slice from cut on contact tip and the bigger 1/2" deep slice from one of the main opening blades. That arrow went through like poop thru a goose and stuck into ground easy 8-10". Deer ran down field about 90 yrds, stopped, stood, came back to fenceline 30 yrds, at edge of trees, layed down and about a minute later the head started swaying, then the kicking started and it over. Total time about felt like about 2 minutes but was probably less.

I have to admit, i was perdy peeved at how long it took for that deer to die, i knew i made a good shot. I was thinkin straight up i'm gonna find broadhead trouble. But i didn't, i will get pics up at end of season. Entrance hole is outstanding, exit hole still over 1", blood trailing(although not needed) was awesome and the internal damage was plenty acceptable. The same hit with fixed blade would not have killed her any quicker once i sherlock holmed the situation.

So i come away impressed with my first go at a mechanical.

As for the B52, it did a fine job, can't say anything bad...i didn't really give it much of a penetration test...neither of them for that matter. I do like shooting the B52 though, it flies very well and quiet and its so easy to pull from my broadhead target and doesn't tear it up so bad either(more shots), plus simple, tough and easy to sharpen. I still don't have a favorite type of broadhead though. My crutch is broadheads, now i gotta try one of them big cut diam mechs next season on the does.

Anyhow, thats huntin, good luck this season. Will be back at the end. Sticking to the nitrons for the bucks fyi.

B

P.s. some additional info...

I suppose i can add. My two buddies i've been with when they scored on bucks. One shot a 143" 4x4 whitetail buck and the other a 3x3 mule deer buck. The whitetail was shot with a muzzy and sharp quartering, blood wasn't great as there was no exit but damage was good, arrow jammed up into brisket opposite side of entry up front, blades bent but intact. The mule deer was hit with a wasp boss bullet at 30 yrds perfect broadside thru the top of the heart, the deer went vertical upon hit and made about 100 yrds, the blood loss was some of the best i've seen yet, but the hit was basically perfect for blood loss also. All in all i'm seeing that broadhead choice isn't that big a factor if you do your part, and if in a low KE situation definitely would say stick to the guidelines outlined on so many forums. Small fixed, or two blade fixed or small reliable mechs. Put er in the right spots and you'll be hard pressed to see glaring differences in broadhead performance in my opinion.

and one last thing...

Never did find the b52 arrow but i suspect broadhead in perfect shape.

I just cleaned up the arrow with the ironhead xp from last night. I had to touch up one of the main blades near the tip, otherwise in perfect shape and back in the quiver, still spins perfect. I'm fairly happy about that. Might use it on next deer but really want to try out a nitron...we'll see.

B
Old 10-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Some broadhead field reports, b52, ironhead xp, boss bullit, muzzy

Congrats on your kills. try out some more of the mech bheads. I've nothing but good luck with mine.