Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Year Bowhunter - Looking for Advise??? >

First Year Bowhunter - Looking for Advise???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Year Bowhunter - Looking for Advise???

Old 10-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Spike

Default First Year Bowhunter - Looking for Advise???

OK, I am hunting with a bow for the first time and want to know what the single most relavent piece of advice you would give.

Shooting a Hoyt ProVantage Rocket (Older bow but shoots good)
Using Easton XX75 2216 Al. Arrows with Fixed 125 Grain broadheads.
Setting in a hanging Treestand 16' from the ground.
Realtree camo bibs, jacket & head cover.
Also using a cover up scent eliminator.
Setting 30-40 yards into the woods from bedding area on a path I know the deer frequent. Have had the chance to take two doe so far, but waiting for something bigger .

Thanks for your advise upfront.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:31 PM

Default RE: First Year Bowhunter - Looking for Advise???

Welcome KK,

Because of your close proximety to the bedding area the best advise I can offer is to practice good scent control and hunt with the wind in your favor. Taking a shower before heading into the woods cant be overstated. If the winds is heading from you to the bedding area IMO it's best not to hunt that stand on that particular day.

Not to start a fire but if you can legally shoot a couple of deer a year you'll be helping the herd if you choose to take a doe or two.

Good luck and keep us posted on your hunts
Old 10-20-2004, 12:34 PM

I mainly have two points for you.....
1)If you have put in the practice time already to be good and to be consistant, you should know what distance you are comfortable shooting at. Stick to that and maybe a little under. Shooting at a live animal is a lot different than shooting at a target. Many guys will give me you very good pointers. Take all of them and see if they apply to you. All will help tremendously.
2)Know what good shot placement is on an animal and keep that in your mind when the shot is presenting itself. Only take the shot when your confident it will find it's mark. Confidence is big thing with bowhunting.

Best of luck to you this season!!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:39 PM

Practice often during the offseason to make sure your groupings are good. Don't forget to practice during the season, too! I make it a point to shoot 3-4 times per week during the season, but only shoot once per day. That is, concentrate on your 1 shot each day because you only get one shot in the woods unless you are lucky.

Lastly, know your limits as far as distance goes. Godo luck...and be patient, too. There, 3 pieces of advice.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO the biggest thing is what was stated above. PRACTICE until you are 110% confident you can put the arrow where you want. Be sure of the shot and where the vitals are on a deer.
#2 I think you should read Rob/PA Bowyers' thread at the top about recovery what to do after the shot. Very good stuff there.
As for the logistics of actually hunting.... you'll hear great advice from these guys. Scent control and setting up according to the wind are huge for me.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

From your post it appears that you may only have one stand. Multiple stand locations allow you to hunt more frequently without revealing your presence to the deer. Also, multiple locations allow you to adjust your position relative to the existing wind direction. If your practice sessions have not included shooting from an elevated position, they should. One way to accomplish this is to bring along an arrow you use for practicing (never use the same broadheads for practice and hunting unless you sharpen them or change blades), then take a shot a clump of grass, etc before you leave the stand. It will ensure you hit where you aim, that no clothing issues are present, and that no tree limbs etc. are in your way when the moment of truth arrives. Just some random thoughts and welcome!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:54 PM

This won't help with hunting but it just came to mind so I figured I'd share it. If you're hunting out of a tree invest in a harness of some sorts. We all think it can't happen to us but every year hunters take long falls because they slipped, misstepped or fell asleep in their stands. I hope to never need my harness but will wear it reguardless. Play it safe so you can go home to your family after each hunt.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Spike

Thanks guys the article/post about after the shot was great. The peroxide & lantern tips are great in addition to the time frames. I was always told an hour, but from that post it looks more like 2-4 unless you watch them go down.

I did neglect from putting my harness in the list of supplies, wife & daugthers wouldn't allow me in a tree with out it.

I would love to have 3-4 stands in the woods I hunt but with it being my first year and the wife having me on a restriced budget, one stand a year is all I can swing.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome kkeiser, your getting some great advise above and thank you on your recommendation of my yearly thread of what to do after the shot along with all the great replies therein.

My advisce, enjoy it. There is no season that can be enjoyed more. Absorb all the sights, the smells and experiences. Bowhunting is so much more than just sending a well placed arrow through an animal. It's about getting back close to nature. Experience it all and don't place so much emphasis on the animal but the experience. The animal will come.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:24 PM

Welcome. I've only been on this forum for a week and i 've picked up a lot of great advice. These guys are experienced hunters with a truckload of knowledge about the sport. If i have any advice it is to take note of everything these guys tell you. They aren't going to feed you a line of crap. they are going to give you quality advice.

p.s. wear a harness every time you climb into the stand!!!!

Quick Reply: First Year Bowhunter - Looking for Advise???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.