Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Sticks

Old 10-14-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Climbing Sticks

I recently bought a set of cabela's climbing sticks to go along with my hang on tree stands and i am having a heck of a time trying to use them. They are the kind that come in different sections and you just strap them as you go up. The problem is i will set one up and then step on it and it will start to slide back down, and i have the straps as tight as they will go? So does anyone have any tips at all with using these kind of climbing sticks. Also if you have any tips on how to pack up and carry these i would appreciate that to because it is a pain in the butt...thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Climbing Sticks

I tried those same climbing sticks last year, and took them back right away. I had the same problem as you do. I didn't feel very comfortable climbing those sticks. I also tried to figure out an easy way to pack them in and out of the woods but gave up after the first trip since I was going to return them to Cabela's. I would think a set of backpack straps would work ok though.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 AM

Default RE: Climbing Sticks

I use API climbing sticks and I put in on the ground. Can't slide anywhere then. I use these big plastic tie wraps used for cables and such. Get the kind that can be released. You can get your sticks snugged tight together so they don't make a lot of noise. Then they can be strapped to your pack or carried in like I do. Good luck.