Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Virginia Hunters >

Virginia Hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Virginia Hunters

Old 10-14-2004, 04:24 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Virginia Hunters

Have only been out twice, but did some squirrel hunting before that. I havn't seen any rubs. Havn't seen any scrapes. Seen lots of tracks and poop but no rubs or scrapes. Anyone else in VA had this issue?

David
Old 10-14-2004, 04:41 PM

Default RE: Virginia Hunters

David,

Where have you been hunting?I am also in chesterfield....Chester.I hunt in Powhatan and Buckingham.I have been seeing plenty of deer this year and lots of sign.Are you hunting public or private land?

Chris
Old 10-15-2004, 05:41 AM

I've been hunting in Orange County and in Fairfax/Loudon county. We didn't see any sign during the Urban Archery season but as soon as the reg. season opened up we started finding rubs all over the place.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:09 AM

im in lee county,west of the blue ridge,ive saw about 7 or 8 fresh rubs around my hunting area but yet to find a scrape.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have hunted in Cumberland, Lunenburg, and Chesterfield so far. I saw some rubs in Lunenburg but no rubs or scrapes anywhere else. I have seen lots of sign such as tracks and droppings but no real buck sign to speak of.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:26 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Sirchance, I've been out in Pocahontas park. I don't have access to any much in the way of private land. I will rifle hunt in Powhattan WMA and in Cumberland forest this year, but for Bow hunting I've started picking Pocahontas because Last year I didn't see anyone else there till muzzleloader season, and this year I saw two other hunters on opening day. By this time last year I had found many really big rubs, and had a 6 pointer magically appear below my stand.......should have been paying attention instead of eating a snack. I havn't seen any deer while hunting this year. Plenty of deer and turkey while driving, just not hunting.

David
Old 10-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello Fellow VAs,
I live in the Roanoke area and I have all kinds of rubs and scrapes on my farm. I first saw rubs about a two weeks ago. Scrapes appeared last week. I've also seen rubs in Bedford county last Friday.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM

David,

I believe they have been doing alot of clearing in there this year.I can't say much about pocohontas park because I have never hunted there before.This time of year I would be looking more at the food sources i.e white oaks with heavy trails leading to and from them and set up on that. I've taken my 1st bow deer this year and it was at his feeding area.If you would like to meet on a sunday we could cover some areas in the park and maybe find you a good stand [email protected].

Chris
Old 10-17-2004, 10:02 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I finally saw some rubs yesterday. IT was blustery all day I stayd out till about 3 pm then headed in. I set up on a rub line. Went back to a place I had hunted last year. Didn't see anything but a few squirrels yesterday but was out there. I wouldn't object to meeting up for some scouting. I have been trying to use Sundays to get my firewood cut and do the yard work but I could squeeze an hour or so.

David