Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 COULD of helped out team 1! >

COULD of helped out team 1!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

COULD of helped out team 1!

Old 10-14-2004, 01:41 PM

Default COULD of helped out team 1!

Went out tuesday, around 6:30, I started grunting and doing some soft rattling. Out of no where, an 8 point came in. I got a shot off at around 25 yrds and missed! This is my first year bowhunting. My season should be over, I missed a doe and now an 8 point. I dont know whats going on.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: COULD of helped out team 1!

Hang in there. It will come. Oh, and the answer to your question is right in the middle of your post....between the words missed and my.... Good luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there man!! Persistance pays off, you'll see.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Relax a little bit. I can bet you where jittering the paint off your stand. It probably started when you first saw the deer come into your area. I still do it after 20 years. Take that time in between the deer getting with in bow range to breath and relax. You don't need to worry right now about getting him there, you need to worry about getting a good shot off. Next I'm going to guess you over shot the deer. I'm only guessing but I've done it we all have. Aim a little lower then you think you need to. The last advice, enjoy that's why they call it hunting.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fieldmouse has hit the nail right on the head ,We all get the jitter's and don't take time to breath .I take a couple deep breaths when I see a deer coming in this will help you calm yourself down. This is the first step after that you'll forget everything about your shot .Also remember to bend at the waist and not your bowarm because this change's your anchor point and your almost gauranteed to miss in this situation.

nubo
Old 10-15-2004, 09:13 AM

If this is your first year bow hunting you're learning that shooting at a live deer is quite a bit diffrent then shooting at a target of even a 3-d deer. Filedmouse hit it on the head. Jitters will get you and even sometimes it's not jitters. I shanked a shot on a doe earlier this fall. luckily I was able to recover her but I know better in my 12th season. It happens.

If you don't own a 3-d deer you might want to invest in one. I found starting out that this helped me alot and gave me the confidence to make the shot.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with all the good advise given. 3-D targets can be a real good way to practice and helping with those jitters - Practice like you will be hunting from a stand or ground And when practicing, pretend every shot is for real? Learn to take deep breath`s before the shot. You will be supprized how much these little tips can help! These guys giving you advise including my self have been bowhunting for a long time and have had the same kind of things happen. Most of us had to learn the hard way! from the same thing`s you did. YOUR NERVES CAN BE YOUR WORST ENEMY[:'(]