Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 He's playing with me! >

He's playing with me!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

He's playing with me!

Old 10-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default He's playing with me!

I put my stand out 2 mounths ago. Withen the last couple days again this year theres BIG scrapes and rubs all down the trail. He only seems to come in before and after I leave. NO way he knows I moved. I been through this last year. I Leave he comes in. He has got to be coming through at night. It's a staging area. Inbetween the food and the bedding. But kind of south. Sounds like I should get there for the rut. Meanwhile I'm sitting and hoping. and hoping,and..................
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: He's playing with me!

That guy sounds nocturnal to me. Maybe he will get goofy enough to chase in the rut. Persistance, persistance, persistance, and good luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:15 AM

Here's an idea for you that might help you bag him...

You said he is making a lot of scrapes and rubs. Make a mach scrape or scrapes with a stick and put some scent on it. Keep doing this persistently. When the buck your hunting finds out another buck is visiting his area, he will change his patterns to intercept it...especially if the buck your hunting is the boss. A good additive is also a buck decoy.

This worked for me a few years ago when I had the same thing happening to me. I then read the above idea either in Field and Stream or Bowhunting Magazine. I put the idea to test and low and behold nine days after I made my first mach scrape, the buck I was hunting stepped out about 20 mins before dark. He came in stiff legged and hair standing straight up on his back. He made a "B" line for my decoy.

Good Luck and hope this helps!
Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Make some mock scrapes and hang some scent drippers over them. Be careful to leave as little of your scent around the scrapes as possible.They only drip scent during daylight hours and this will condition that stubborn rascal to come in during shooting time. He will think another buck is in his bedroom and he will get ticked of good. Hope this helps. Bhunter32.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:22 AM

The scent dripper that works durring daylight only sounds like a good idea. You sould get his attention that way. You also might want to try some rattleing in the hour that leads upto dark. If he's within ear shot he'll likely come in to investigate and hopefull give you a shot.

IMO this is what makes hunting whitetails so great. There's nothing like matching wits with a creature as witty as a mature whitetail.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

i heard for nocturnal bucks they will also come out during the afternoon, so try to spend as much time in the stand as possible, and maybe you will come across him..