Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Short bow vs. Long bow >

Short bow vs. Long bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Short bow vs. Long bow

Old 09-11-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Short bow vs. Long bow

In an earlier post, I received a response that shorter bows are not appropriate for finger releases. Please elaborate on this.

What is the major difference(s) OR pros & cons of having a short bow vs. long bow.

Any relevant info is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Short bow vs. Long bow

Go to a proshop and draw back a few longer ata bows , then draw back one short ata bow (one will be enough) and you'll quickly understand the difference. The shorter the bow is the more angle you put on the string at full draw causing string pinch on your fingers. The longer your draw length is the more severe the angle/pinch is.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:28 AM

I would like to add cause I tend to disagree with the differnce. I will not argue with the finger pinch. But with easy drawing cams and 80% let off think that point comes mute.
I normaly a release shooter but pratice with also with fingers...just in case some thing happens. My matthews ultra light was 36 ata with an ultra nock on the string. Made it thru
28 target course fingers no worse for wear cause forgotten my release.
What are you able to do is what it comes down to...that is why this board is great.
Good luck..
Old 09-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

DaBoys , what is your draw length? 36" ata isn't short by todays standards. Try a 32" ata and see how you feel about it. Besides the pain caused to the fingers you also have to take into consideration the nock pinch which 100% letoff isn't going to relieve any.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:36 PM

The point was being it could be done. I would love to have a 32 ata bow , What i want they don't make! But have been working on the cnc guys work to cut me a new riser.
Lastly I am not a fingershooter, but can inter change in a pinch.....but a can also lay my bow across my knees (crossbow style) and still hit what I am Aiming at. I still own a matthews and would be hard pressed to change. (sorry for being defensive)
I do like a challenge.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:22 PM

In an earlier post, I received a response that shorter bows are not appropriate for finger releases. Please elaborate on this.
What is the major difference(s) OR pros & cons of having a short bow vs. long bow.
Yes it is the pinch that most look for: now with some companys like Bowtech they will tell you if you call, that their short bows are not reccommend for finger shooters.