Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Soybean Field question... >

Soybean Field question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Soybean Field question...

Old 10-10-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Soybean Field question...

I have a stand that over looks the edge of a soybean field, my question is that because the soybeans have dried up (tuned brown) will the deer still come out at night to eat them. There are A LOT of standing corn fields still around the area.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:53 AM

Default RE: Soybean Field question...

Same here b2simple, my stand is next to a soy field also and they are feeding on the corn like no tomorrow.Thank you for posting this question.
I heard they may think the brown soybean is bitter, but when i ate it , it was fine to me ??
Appx. 3 days ago a doe came out in mid-day to eat some and then i also spooked some deer while walking to my stand in the soy field, so i will stay where i am at for now.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I believe they will eat them beans anytime. They will dig through the snow looking for spillings this winter. As to which they prefer, corn or beans? I think we need some more opinions. I would say they probally feel safer in the tall corn.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:27 AM

I was gonna post a question just like this. There is an area I have been scouting that has a bean field that is absolutely freaking ENORMOUS!!!......and plenty of corn around as well.

I went there a couple nights ago and setup in the bean field at a good vantage point with my binocs to see what would come out to eat and where it came from.

Not one single deer entered that field.......not one. I decided to head back to the truck about 15 minutes before dark-dark and there was a doe with 2 fawns right by my truck. They bounded through some pines into a ragweed field so I figured I would head around the side and see if I could catch a glimpse of where they went. I walked around to take a look and found myself instead looking at about 15 deer (all does and little ones) browsing in an open grass field. The 3 by my truck soon came through the pines and joined them. I watched them all for whatever time I had left and went back to my truck to do some spotting before I went home. I saw tons of does and NONE of them were anywhere near this huge bean field........I figured they would be all over that place like a team of lawn mowers.

Are the beans bitter?? I can't imagine all those deer avoiding that bean crop for no reason.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the soy is green they are sweet and when they turn brown they are bitter. Deer will still eat the soy, but corn and alfalfa will be preferred.
Good Hunting
Old 10-10-2004, 12:36 PM

Deer will eat beans over corn in cold weather, because of the added nutrients and protien in beans as compared to corn. Bean fields are always good, but corn and alfalfa are usually the browse in the earlier season.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:49 PM

Deer like the soybeans when they are green or brown, but not yellow. They are bitter at that time.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:19 AM

its been proven that corn has no nutrishion for the deer its just a filler for there belly is all.as for soybean there would be more protein for them but standing corn is a safe haven and they can bed down in it and eat all they want if they get to much prseeure.