Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sickening confession. >

Sickening confession.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sickening confession.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sickening confession.

Great job, adams! I can relate to the sick feeling as I've been in a similar situation before. I'm glad to hear everything worked out in the end.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 AM

I appreciate all the kind words. It cartainly make me feel better about the situation.

Here's one more for you.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adams - I have followed many of your posts. Although I am 39 and you are much younger we are very similar. DO NOT beat your self up on this. If you do you will find yourself making another bad shot. I know this because it happened to me. Way back in '84 when I was 19 I made a bad hit on a doe at first light. I tracked her right away (didn't have Rob's tips back then) and jumped her several times. I looked all day but I never found her. I went out that night to just sit and think about what I had done. Well in came a small 6 point. I shot too soon and hit the front shoulder. Arrow fell out and I never found that deer. All this on opening day. I went home, sold the bow and did not go back to bow hunting until a new friend got me back into it 2 years later.

You found the deer. Be happy and get back out there and hit the boiler room soon. I know you can do it.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Great story. Congrats
Old 10-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

WIPE THAT SILLLY GRIN OFF YORU FACE!

NAh just kidding man, Adams, you need not beat yourself up over this, everyone makes mistakes... hell i dont think you are much younger than me but i know it took me a little longer to fix the same mistakes you are making now, this is where you can seperate your self from the average hunter, learn from your mistake, and move on. promis yourself that it wont happen again, and you will be good. i made a VERY bad shot at a deer the third year out, and my Grandpa knew i was beating myself up over it and sat me down and explained all of teh wisdom that he coudl share, and then after all teh storys of about 60+ years of hunting he said he did the same thing when he was 17... but then never made the same mistake again. I try tolive up to that kind of hunter mentality...

sure we are all human, and we make some bad descissions from time to time. its not llike yoru getting PLASTERED every night before you go hunting and shoot anything that moves.

oh by the way.... i cleaned out the extra bedroom, and now i have a sofa in there... when are ya gonna come hunting with me in Illinois?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:18 PM

Congrats on your bow kill and I commend you on your efforts in finding her.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:08 PM

i am very happy you found her.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Adams, I can relate to the feeling. I think we all can. One time my buddy shot at a small 6 pointer broadside slowly moving left to right at 40 yds.(which he is very capable of making) and the deer jumped the string so bad it was able to turn itself around before the arrow got there. We waited 1 hour and followed a very easy blood trail for quite a distance (about 200 yds,) and found him very dead with an arrow broken off in its left ham severing the femoral artety. He was very upset that he hit the deer in a place that he wasnt even aiming for let alone the opposite side.
It took days for us to convince him to be proud of taking that deer.
Its hunting not shopping and a if things could go wrong they probably will.
Cheer up you got your deer with a bow and that in itself is quite a feat.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:21 PM

Adams- That's a post that we can all live by... If any of us think that there's a chance that we have a gutshot deer, we should just wait- plain and simple. Like everybody else said, you handled everything as well as you could have after that arrow flew. Things just don't always happen as we plan them. Nice job finding your deer.
I'll always remember the moral to your story. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:32 PM

Good job on finding the deer. What I wouldn't have done though is shot a deer that soon before I had to leave the woods. You're just asking for trouble if you have to leave your deer laying in the woods until you can get back and find it. I know that folks leave them all night sometimes after a bad hit but they don't plan it that way. 6-7:45 doesn't leave much room for anything but a perfect hit early and you could end up with nothing but a coyote buffet. See ya.

Quick Reply: Sickening confession.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.