Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property >

CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Old 10-07-2004, 05:42 PM

Default RE: CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

And this is why im saving to buy 100 acres in Missouri
Old 10-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am just glad I know enough people who need deer shot on thier farms/land that they have no problems letting me hunt for free. You guys can pay all you want, but I will continue to use interaction and personal contacts to find new hunting land if/when its needed.

Just as some of you guys see paying to hunt as how things are, there are still many places in this country where that was unheard of for the longest time, and hopefully will continue not to be common practice for years to come.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:46 PM
BT
Typical Buck

I may have a differnt out look because i am a land owner.

If AR would have wanted the land to hunt with no chance of having it leased away from him.
He should have leased it his self insted of hunting for free.

If the shop owner did know one of his custemers was using the land leasing it would more than likely be bad for busness. and he should have thought of that. IF he knew.

As far as paying a spical tax. yea right. The land owners/farmers give the deer a place to live and feed them. If it wasent for privet land owners and farmers there would be no where near the deer populatin for the state to manage.

Yall ever heard of crop damage permits. thats summer shooting of deer at night to get read of them. Be thanking full that all farmers that can get them dont.

A good frind of mine has a lose of 1/3 of his crop every year because of deer and hogs.
leasing gives him back his loses.
If it was not for leasing he would be using CD permits.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

He had no idea that it was you on the property. He knew the property and knew the owner and they leased it.
The shop owner isn't the one that leased the land directly. He was invited to hunt it by 2 other clients. It wasn't him, directly, that leased the land.
Not sure which one of your quotes is to be correct Trushot.
The land owner delt with him, I have to believe that, he has no reason to say anything good or bad.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to clear thing up. The land owner did not ask me if I was interested in leasing the land. I would have like to been asked, but dont think I would have been able to come up with the amount of money they paid.

Jeff is a nice guy to meet. I have spent a few hours just shootin the s&%t with him in his shop. Maybe it was coincidence, same property, same place, same 10pt..... just does not look like that opening morning pulling your stands instead of enjoying a quiet day in the woods.

I have never told him "exactly" where I hunt, just friendy conversation between "friends" with a common intrest.

IF he did not know I hunted that property, he did nothing wrong. IF he did then that is different. That would be a POOR example of a hunter, friend, and bussiness owner. This IF will never realy be known with a small shop involved. Word of mouth is his bread and butter.

Jeff has called my house. I have not yet spoke to him, but plan to stop in and talk with him this week.

My original post was not jumping to conclusions or condeming anyone. Just a word of advise on a lesson learned.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:34 AM

I hear ya Mark...it is a tough situation.

I trust Jeff when he said he didn't know but think about this....

He knows you and knows your a good customer. If he knew it was you on the land....don't you think he would have had the other 2 guys play the bad guy and just stay in he truck so you wouldn't know it was him that "swiped" your land??

He had no idea bro...he feels terrible and has ben trying to get a hold of you. Stop in and talk to him or give him a call. I'm sure you guys can work something out.

Good luck Mark.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:09 PM
BT
Typical Buck

My point is as a land owner. I am not going to ask you if you want to lease.
You would have to ask me.
If you did not and i let you hunt. then some one else wanted to lease.
I my self would try to work something out with you and them to alow you to still hunt.
But if something could not be worked out. I would take the lease money if i needed it.
You could have all ways ask.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

AR You have permission from the owner to hunt the property. You have the advantage. You get to hunt free. This happened to me a few years back. I went back to the owner and asked again. He said "I told you that you may hunt my property and nothings changed." So I hunted free and still do. Seems the three guys that spent the money to hunt didn't like that and left after the first year. Go back to the owner and make sure you may still hunt. Take a 3 x 5" card with you with your name, phone number, liscense number and give it to him. In turn, have him sign a card that states you have his permission to hunt on that property. You are now legally hunting should you be stopped by game officials and the money boys can kiss where you can't. You'll find that although they have a lease the owner has control of the land to use as he sees fit. I love it when a plan comes together
Old 10-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for everyones help. The next property I find I will have a better understanding of how it all works. Hopefully I can make this less likely to happen again. Good luck to all this season.

BAG THE BIG ONE
Old 10-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find someone with a couple of big dogs. Tell them you will clean the poo out of their yard for free. Fill 5 gallon buckets with dog crap. Take said buckets to the property late at night. Sprinkle said buckets in a circle around their stands at about a 40 yard radius. Another thing to try is to urinate into a milk jug till it is full and dump the whole jug on their tree, late at night of course.

Quick Reply: CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.