Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 GUT SHOT ONE TONIGHT PLEASE HELP >

GUT SHOT ONE TONIGHT PLEASE HELP

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GUT SHOT ONE TONIGHT PLEASE HELP

Old 10-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default GUT SHOT ONE TONIGHT PLEASE HELP

two does came down a trail 20 yards in front of me shot the lead doe nice size took of running like normal didnt here it crash waited 15 min I shot at 6:15 went to look at my arrow saw it was covered in green with some white hair on the broadhead so I backed out it is going to be 44 tonight and tommorow a high of 72 will the deer and meat be okay by the time I go track it at 3:00 in the afternoon I'm trying not to take off tommorow THANKS ALOT
Old 10-06-2004, 05:18 PM

Default RE: GUT SHOT ONE TONIGHT PLEASE HELP

It should be ok for tonite and probably tomorrow morning till around 10 or so....you mite wanna be out there tracking as early as possible as to not let the temp warm up and taint the meat....Good Luck!!
Old 10-06-2004, 05:18 PM

Yeah get up in the morning and start tracking no matter what. My friend shot a deer in the guts and we ended up tracking him at about midnight, because it was going to be hot the next day. The decision is up to you.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:22 PM

Dont wait till 3,the meat will be bad.You need to get it first light.Happened to me last year with a 8 pt,went the next morning at sunrise and found him 40 yds from me.good luck,post your results
Old 10-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Suck it up, get to bed early. [>:]
Look BEFORE work. Whatever time you must be there, get out and look a few hours before to allow tracking and processing time.
You can't wait until 3:00PM in 70+ degree weather.
Chances are the deer will be lying fairly close by if you didn't disturb it.....most likely in the first or second bed it laid down in.

Have good lights, go SLOW and don't guess.......don't get ahead of yourself, follow the trail.
Tracking in the dark isn't as easy as sunlight but if taking off work is not an option you don't have a choice.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes I agree with matt. Get up early and look for your deer. 8 hours would be till 2 am. Anytime after that and leaving you time to look, gut, drag out and get to processor will do. It won't last until the afternoon in those temps. Part of the responsibility of bow hunting is being able to follow up a bad shot. You need to step up and find your deer. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with the rest. Call in DEAD if you have to tomorrow. Just go find that deer. I hit one too far back (yes guts) a few years ago. It only went about 200 yards and bedded down. I backed out like you did and went back the next morning. Found it in about 30 minutes.

You have done everything right so far by waiting. Don't blow it by waiting until 3:00. Like Matt said if taking off in not an option then go out at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning.

Good luck and keep us posted. One of these wounded deer stories has to have a happy ending.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Spike

i agree with every one else keep us posted tho
Old 10-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck
Old 10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have any friends or family that could look for you? You could meet them out there when you can and give them all the details you know. Tie some ribbons on trees where you saw it run last and have a friend track it in the light. If not, go early (in the dark, if you have to). Get a BIG coffee for the ride to the hunting grounds. I get up at 3:00 all the time when we go fishing. You can handle missing a few hours of sleep. Especially if you find the deer - you'll be pumped all day.

Quick Reply: GUT SHOT ONE TONIGHT PLEASE HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.