Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got my 1st Bow-Buck >

Got my 1st Bow-Buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my 1st Bow-Buck

Old 10-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my 1st Bow-Buck

I have shot 5 doe in the 20 years (off and on) I've been bow hunting but never a buck. Well, that all changed this weekend. As usual, I was out with the bow looking to fill my doe tag and get some meat when bad weather sent me in early. Pouring rain and fog - not the bow hunter's dream. I decided to sneak through the woods on my way back to see if there was anything lurking. I looked at it as more of doing some scouting on my way back to the cabin and didn't think I'd actually shoot a deer. All of a sudden, out of the fog, this huge deer materializes. It's about a 190-200lb buck with a nice 6-point rack (17" spread). I got within about 17 yards, drew and placed my pin on his vitals. He was looking at me but didn't look nervous (maybe confused). I thought about not shooting because of the rain and that it was getting late, but it was such an easy shot at a nice buck and this would be my first buck with a bow. I let the arrow fly and it found its mark. The deer bolted off and I waited a while for it to expire. The rain quickly eliminated all blood but I figured the deer was hit hard enough that it wouldn't go too far if I didn't push it. My dad and I looked around in the dark and pouring rain but found nothing that night. We decided to start fresh in the morning. With the sun and no fog, we found the buck right away. It was only 50 yards from where it was hit. The problem was, he doubled back where I assumed he kept going straight into the think cover. We chased away two coyotes that were in the field that border the woodlot where the buck was. They would have eaten him already if we decided to have breakfast first. Per the butcher, the buck weighed between 190 and 200lbs on the hoof. The rack was a heavy-beamed six-point with a 17 inch spread and high tines. A nice buck period (in my book) but a great buck for my first bow-buck.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:05 AM

Default RE: Got my 1st Bow-Buck

Congrats!!!! Great to hear. Sounded pretty exciting. Lets see some pics!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

With your lack of luck in your 20 years I am glad that you took the chance on taking that fine animal. Gotta love the rain. Be proud and enjoy the meat!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:08 AM

He really sounds like a dandy! Congrats on the first buck. You definate did it the hard way. I'd like to get a poll att he end of the year to see how many were taken from trees and how many are taken from the ground. I'm sure you'd be in the minority taking him from the ground.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. Most of my years hunting archery, I took kind of a laid back approach. I hunted a few hours in the morning and evening on weekends and wasn't too concerned if I got something. I knew it was early in the season and that I had more time. This is probably why I never got a buck. You need to put in the effort to get a nice buck with any regularity. I think my number just came up on this one. I just had to focus and remain calm for the shot and be diligent with the tracking. Now I'm a little more hooked and I think I'm going to get more serious with the bow. The chances of bagging a trophy are good in archery season so I'll be giving it more effort next year. I can always shoot a doe in rifle season.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:19 AM

Good job!!, congrats
Old 10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a fine bow kill. I too would love to see some pictures. Sounds like you got the bow bug now. I too just gun hunt to fill the freezer if I still need too.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 AM

Congrats on your first. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Barnes!
Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, Lets see the pics. I love the fog, my experience is bucks especially mature ones move in the fog. Thats great to hear.

Quick Reply: Got my 1st Bow-Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.