Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's new?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 AM

Default What's new?

As some of you know I went North to my hunting camp for the end of last week and will be heading up again on Friday for the long weekend. I arrived about 3:30 Thursday afternoon to find the ridge I've hunting for the last 16 years had been completely clear cut[:'(]

WTF! about 7-8 years ago I arrived to find it selectively cut and the hunting wasn't too bad. It changed the travel patterns a bit but this time it takes the cake. Aprox 750 acers of the best whitetail habitat I've ever hunted was stripped to bare dirt. Needless to say my hunting trip turned more into a scouting trip. Hopefully the time spent scouting will pay off this weekend. If not it should be prime again in about 15 years[X(].
Old 10-04-2004, 12:23 PM

Default RE: What's new?

Made me sick just reading this adams. Sorry to hear of this. Damn, 750 acres = WTF!![:@]
Old 10-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about that adams. That is a lot of land to strip. Good luck this weekend.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adams,

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am not familiar with your states logging practices, but here in Idaho, when ever a clearcut is created, the logging companies then go in and burn the slash, which fertalizes the soil, then they replant the clearcut and it becomes a plantation. Within 1 year after buring the vegetation will begin to flourish, young saplings that have been replanted ( if they replant) will began to grow and your clearcut will eventally turn into a buffet of food for local critters. It may be super ugly and terrible timing, but hopfully the future of that clearcut will provide dividends for you and your hunting area. By far my best hunting areas include clearcuts as food sources.

Hang in there....

Shed
Old 10-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

with the new regen of trees coming, your best hunting should be the next few years. Taz
Old 10-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man thats tough.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the supports guys. I know it will get better in years to come though.

I did have a thought. The ridge was primarily maples and spruce trees. There wasn't a single oak on that ridge and since theacorns have been falling early this year I was thinginh about seeding the ridge with white oaks. I can think of no better time then the present to bury some acorns in hope of creating "my own special food plot". I know it'll take years to produce but time will pass and in 15-20 years I could have a haven of white oaks on the primo ridge.

I really have no gripe but the timing was about as poor as it's ever been. There is more moose sign then I've ever seen in my life on that ridge. The moose have wasted no time in getting to the new sprouts as they start to grow. This weekend I plan to hunt the frindges of the cut. I'm sure the deer havn't gone far and I can now easily play the wind as there is a 750 acre void where it won't matter if the wind takes my scent. Hopefully the scouting will pay off and I'll get my shot. If not it's still nice just to be in the woods (That's what I love most)

Thanks again guys for the support. I wish I had it Thursday afternoon though
Old 10-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man i know that was a shock to say the least!! But its still early yet! And like you sead they are more than likely are not far away. Get out there and find them! Good luck!!