Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you guys do???????? >

What would you guys do????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you guys do????????

Old 10-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What would you guys do????????

I have a question for everyone. The lady that owns the land where I bow hunt was waiting for me when I got back to my truck, She told me that for the last couple of days, there has been a 4 pointer hanging around out by her dog pens, and when she goes out to feed her dogs in the morning, he wont leave. He is feeding under her apple tree that is only about 12' from the dogs. She makes all kinds of noise and waves her arms, but he wont leave. You would have to know this lady, but she is all freeked out about getting attacked by this deer, or hiim jumping into the dog kennel, and getting her dogs. She said that she saw him across the road, and he acted the same way. Well, when I left her house after talking to her, I saw him in the same field across the road, I pulled right up to him, not 6' away, and he just stood there looking at me. I shined my headlights on him to see if he looked sick or if he looked like he might have been hit by a car or something. He was walking fine, but it was too dark to see if he looked sick or anything. The only other thing I could think of, was maybe he might be tame, but there is no deer farms around here. He obviously would be fairly easy too shoot, but I dont really want to waste my buck tag on a 4 pointer, and then find out he wasnt sick. Sorry this got so long , but I just wanted to know what you guys think I should do.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Spike

Default RE: What would you guys do????????

i would call the DNR and tell them what u typed in here thay MIGHT give u a kill tag for him

huntingmighigan
Old 10-02-2004, 08:13 PM

My daughter raised a buck a few years ago. After it reached a little over a year old it got aggressive towards horses but acted very tame. Ive heard of many of them turning on the people that raised them though. We sent him to a game preserve. If he is acting tame but has no ribbon or paint on him, he is fair game. Myself, after raising one, I would harvest it. If its tame but wild now, it could be very dangerous. Does are a different story. They seem to never be aggressive. I would probably do it for the safety of the lady that lives there before it does attack someone or something.
Stryker777
Old 10-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks huntingmichigan, thats kind of what I was thinking.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

I can tell you the last percentage report I read on animal attacks and human fatalities, whitetails ranked at the top or in the top three. My uncle has a deer farm, and he said they will NEVER bottle feed a buck fawn because when they grow up and the rut hits, they have no fear of humans. He made it sound, and IMO it would be true, that a penned whitetail buck is an extremely dangerous animal. Let's face it, incredible speed and power, and then throw into the mix a bunch of pointed objects (antlers)....yeah that's dangerous...lol I would call your local game warden and see what he/she thinks and even invite them out to have a look at the thing if it always seems to be there.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds to me like the young buck has been inadverntantly tamed. By this I mean noone may have set out to tame it. But you describe it as feeding from an apple tree close to the house and dog pens and not afraid of humans. My grandparents had the same thing happen in a peach and pear orcherd years ago. the orcherd was a small one just off of the side yard of the house, less than 10 ft. We tried to run them off and that worked for a while. but after about a month you would try to run them off and they would just look at you like you weere stupid. They just got used to humans. Grandpa called the game warden and they gave him a kill tag and we ate good all summer.

This sounds like what has happened here. And the fact that it is a buck, next he will be dangerous as a mature rutting deer. I would definantly have the lady call the game wardon if you do not want to waste your tag. they will give her a kill tag or remove it.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:54 PM

you hunt her land. If she doesn't get a kill tag for it I would harvest it for her. Its the least you could do for her for the rights to hunting the land.... just think of how grateful she would be for it ... I kinda feel thats what she was looking for from you when she came to you with her problem/fears.... Call the game warden yourself and see if she would get a tag for it save her the time if its a wild goosechase... but if a tag is doable then give her the number and have her get it then fill it for her
Old 10-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

sounds like it is stoned,maybe eating more then apples,Na probably a pen raised deer that was left loose
Old 10-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

You bowhunt her land. She's doing you a favor, letting you hunt her land. I'd return the favor and take out that deer for her, even if I had to burn my own tag to do it. Even if you don't want to do it simply because it's the right thing to do, then look at it as making brownie points for the seasons to come. How could she turn down the hero who took care of her in her time of need?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:06 AM

SlobbyRobby is right. She is the landowner, and the DNR can give her a tag for the deer, and then you can shoot it. If she does not want to do that, then I would take the deer. You may not be happy with using your tag for the 4 pt, but you will have a place to hunt for years to come!!!

Quick Reply: What would you guys do????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.