Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need some help guys (tonight) >

need some help guys (tonight)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need some help guys (tonight)

Old 10-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default need some help guys (tonight)

I was up in my stand tonight and in the last hour of my hunt (until dark) I had 7 or 8 coons move in and start climbing EVERYWHERE. makin' lots of noise and what not. And then I see 1 or 2 coyotes run past about 15 yards away. About 2 minutes later the coyotes start their pack freak-out call! I could tell there were about 6 or so. My question is about whether or not the presence of these yotes means bad news for me? And what about the coons? Should I stay where I'm at (a major entry point from a bean field into woods)??
Old 10-02-2004, 07:55 PM

Default RE: need some help guys (tonight)

The racoons....I'd say your fine. They are probably more afraid of you then you are of them...I suppose unless rabid. The yotes...not so sure about that one. One or two I wouldn't be worried too much about....a pack of 6-8?? I don't know. I hear what your saying though. It does sound like you have some off season varmint hunting to take care of!!
Old 10-02-2004, 08:41 PM

if you have that many coyotes around your stand making there very loud erie howling/barking I would say your hunt is over the deer are probably going to avoid that area for awhile the coons I am not sure how deer react to coons sorry.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:46 PM

The coyotes are everywhere....the deer learn how to avoid them. I'm sure they wouldn't come in with the pack around, but it shouldn't have any lasting effects.

Unless the dens near you or you see the pattern repeating itself.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Bscofield,I wouldn't sweat it they cohabitat the same areas.I hunt an area where I will see packs of them at times(mostly in the winter)yet still see deer.Sometimes the yotes are a good sign,I have found when the yotes are gone or I am not seeing them,I also am not seeing deer.Coons and deer cohabit all the time,as well as squirels and turkey.Believe it or not squirels can be your best friend when it comes to bowhunting,Just listen to them when they start to chirp,many times they do it cause they see a deer or another critter.Also It's kind of like clock work,in the evening hunts when the squirels stop scurring for accorns,and go to nest, wait a few min. If the area has good deer sign, you have a good chance of seeing deer.,Bill D>
Old 10-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not hesitate to lay it on a coyote if he was within range. I know around here they are scarce, and most hunters plan to keep it that way. I have never known coons to frighten deer much, but you never know how a deer will react to them.

But like I said, the yotes wouldn't be howling much if they were in bow range. [:@]