Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let does with fawns go? >

Let does with fawns go?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let does with fawns go?

Old 10-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Let does with fawns go?

doughboy, I read that article in Bowhunter yesterday also. Very interesting read, I only wish I had read it a couple days ago. Up until this year, I hadn't worried about shooting does with fawns since I only had one tag and was after a nice buck. I got some doe tags this year that I would like to fill before the rut. I don't think I would shoot a doe with fawns the first couple weeks of the season(season opens around 9/1), but after hearing everyone's opinion here and reading that article, I won't pass up the doe.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:24 PM

If the fawn has spots, mama will walk. If the fawn is brown, mamas in the freezer.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

I personally have passed many doe with fawns. With that said, I may be changing my ways. I just read an article in Bowhunting that said that the fawns are more likely to stay in the birthplace range if they are orphaned. Therefore, if one of the fawns is a big buck (eventually) it will have a better chance of staying close by if mom isn't around. There was more good info on shooting doe also. Good article.
I have heard this on and off before. Within the last year, I have read several articles that address the fact the fawn will be more likely to stay in its original home range if the mother is not there to push it out.

I think it makes sense, and if the occasion presents itself, I believe I will harvest the doe this year.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:49 PM

I won't take them if the fawn has spots but if they don't, I'll shoot them and I'll shoot the fawn too given a chance. If they are brown, they are old enough to survive on their own.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I let a dozen of them go the other night. I also let a half dozen go the other morning. I can't seem to see a buck..... but lots of does and fawns. I had a decent size button come by Friday with a lot of SPOTS still visible. If it were cooler weather I'd be whacking some of these rascals. I just sit there and watch them pass. Len gives me hell. I tell him it's a long season and there's lots of time. I just don't feel like messing with a doe in this weather.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave,Your alot like me when it comes to that.Ilike to hang my deer and not have to cut one up that night.I came home couple times last year and my wife asked what I saw, yole her I had a couple does with-in range, she asked why I didn't shoot,told her ot was too warm. Then she comes back with "why you bother to go out?"