Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let does with fawns go? >

Let does with fawns go?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let does with fawns go?

Old 10-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Let does with fawns go?

What do you guys think, is it still too early to shoot a doe with fawns? I passed on a good shot at very good sized doe tonight because she had a fawn with her. The fawn looked rather little yet. What's your opinion?
Old 10-01-2004, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Let does with fawns go?

This late in the year I would say you'd be safe shooting a doe with fawns. I've been watching the does with fawns on our property and the fawns seem to be depending less and less on the mothers. They don't seem to be paying near as much attention to her as they did in the first part of September. They're starting to lose their spots and they're no longer trying to get milk from the mother.

It's up to you though...
Old 10-01-2004, 09:28 PM

It's my opinion, that if they can't make it without her at this point....they aren't going to at all. They are old enough, know the area good enough(for escape routes, water holes and food) and have been eating solids for long enough to be able to survive without the doe around. I even saw the other day that a fawn tried to nurse and mom kicked her square in the side. Pretty much tells me that she is trying to cut her off or already has. Not to mention that deer are very social animals. The fawns will hook up with other doe if they haven't been running in bigger doe/fawn groups already. It's not like are going to be spendy long cold nights by themselves.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you guys think, is it still too early to shoot a doe with fawns? I passed on a good shot at very good sized doe tonight because she had a fawn with her. The fawn looked rather little yet. What's your opinion?
It's a personal preference. If the young ones look really small I do the same as you.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:09 PM

I passed on a fat momma last year and ended up regretting it.I never saw another doe while bowhunting close enough to take.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Spike

Ditto Shishkabob! I did the same until another big momma gave me the blow as I patiently waited for the shot on a big boy! Never again, this year she's a gonner fawns or not! But we have way to many does to begin with, so that makes it easier!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This early in the season? Pass. Especially does with fawns that were conceived in late Nov/early Dec. I'm all for getting some venison in the freezer early and trophy hunting the rest of the season, but what's a few more weeks when the does start naturally kicking the fawns out in order to rut again?
Old 10-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dont
Old 10-02-2004, 09:29 AM

I just shot a huge doe last night with fawns. The fawns came out a full twenty minutes in front of the doe. I thought at first that they were orphaned but they seemed in good shape and were grazing from 0-5yds from tree. The mom came and winded me about 10-15 yds. away. She was snorting and howling and I was convinced she alerted everything in the woods. About 15 mins later she came back out at around 40yds and i got her with a double lung/heart shot. It broke both her front legs and I followed plow marks rather than a blood trail to find her.
The fawns were big enough and were obviously independent enough to feed on their own, plus I love actually killing the deer that wind me. BTW she dressed out at 145lbs.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the size of the fawns, last year I took a big doe that had a yearling that I guessed to be close to a year old so I took that big mamma. Just the other day I was sitting in my stand just observing and a small doe comes out which I believed to be the little yearling I orphaned last year anyway she has a tiny little fawn with her, the fawn was still spotted. I would not take this doe as she was prolly only a 1 1/2 yrs old and already with a fawn and that fawn was just to young to make it on her own.

Quick Reply: Let does with fawns go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.