Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 dragging your deer >

dragging your deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dragging your deer

Old 10-01-2004, 09:50 AM

Default dragging your deer

This might seem like it's kind of dumb to be posting a question like this, but there's a lot of new guys every year, and I've seen some wild stuff - like one guy doing a "fireman's carry" with his deer - hoisting the deer on his shoulders and walking out of the woods. Obviously this is totally stupid and VERY VERY DANGEROUS - you're asking to get yourself shot.

I put the front legs behind the rack (ears in case of a doe) and then use a slip know in my drag rope and loop it around the head/ankles to form a "streamlined" package that drags pretty easy and keeps the forelegs from getting tangled on branches and brush. If there's a lot of debris on the ground (leaves, twigs, etc.) I use a little piece of rope to hold the rear legs together to keep stuff from getting into the open cavity.

How does everyone else do it ? If there's a better, easier way, I'd love to hear it - I often hunt far from camp (read as "far from all the other hunters who are afraid to walk")
Old 10-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: dragging your deer

It depends on how far back I am in the woods. When I'm over about 1/2 mile back, I use a deer sled. Other then that I drag by the antlers.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:04 AM

Yamaha Grizzly 660, Pain to get the deer up on the rack but once he's there, I am ready too go. The ATV winch is a great hoist, just throw the cable over a big tree limb and hook the deer up and winch. If you can't use a ATV were you hunt alot of folks get a big tarp (6x8) and place the deer on it and drag it out, much easier and protects the hide and inside from dirt.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use one of the older safety belt straps as a drag. Front legs up at the neck as described. Sometimes for a buck you need to shorten the strap to get the rack off the ground and catching on things, if its real bad I'll grab it by the rack. When using a strap or rope, its very handy to grab a thicker branch or stick to wrap the strap around and use as a handle. Saves your hands.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

a few of my stands are "back" in the woods quite aways. For those stands, I use/build a travois(sp?) and leave it in the area till needed. Simple to build and really takes the starin out of a long/hard haul. Just cut 2 limbs about 10' long, nail or strap a few cross braces on. The bottom part that drags on the ground will be about 3' wide and then narrows to about 2' at the top(which is part that you pull or attach to your body). You ca either just pull on the limbs for leverage, but I usually strap the travois to my body at waist level and let my body pull instead of just arms. Try it, it's an easy way for a 1 man drag. Taz
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 AM

I used conduit and bike wheels and built a cart. works great.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

I drug a deer that wayed 177 dressed out last year it took me over 3 hours. I'll never do that again. I built my own deer cart will see how it works in a couple of weeks. I hope!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I just hook a strap around the legs and horns like you do if it's not too far. I have a couple places in NY that are way back. Doing it the old way has taken me hours at times. 3 or 4 years ago, I bought one of the Deer Sleighs just to use in cases like that. That thing is slicker than creased lightning. You can walk along with it tied to your waist and you don't even break a sweat. You have to watch out going down hills or it'll run you down. I also bought one of those deer carts about10 years ago. Not all it's cracked up to be. I usually just keep it hung in the garage.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought one of the Deer Sleighs just to use in cases like that. That thing is slicker than creased lightning.
I second that!!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:54 AM

I use a Honda Rancher ES 4x4, I hunt by myself and getting to old to drag anything!

Quick Reply: dragging your deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.