Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Summit Goliath and Bending? >

Summit Goliath and Bending?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summit Goliath and Bending?

Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Summit Goliath and Bending?

I recently purchased the Summit Goliath. It is an aluminum stand. I had previously hunted with the Grand Ol Man. It is a steel stand. I am a big un. I weigh 265 and 6' tall. I had all confidence in the Ol Man but the Goliath is new to me. It does seem to bite the tree better and seems more stable than the Ol Man was, but my question is this: Because the Goliath is an Aluminum stand will it have more of a tendency to bend in the braces or anywhere else than the steel made Ol Man? Thanks for your replies and they will either boost confidence or shatter it. Thanks
Whitey
Old 09-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summit Goliath and Bending?

Pound for pound aluminum is stronger than steel. Unless I am mistaken the stand you bought is rated for 300 pounds. Right? Plus it is rated or certified by an organization. Right?

Why carry 30 pounds for half a mile or more when you only have to carry 20? That stand will safely hold you and a 35 pound backpack!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:04 PM

ttt
Old 09-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

My Goliath hasn't bent yet. Don't think I have to worry bout it bending either.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

You will have no problems at all. I have lost some weight. I was at 6-1 260 and use the summit revolution. You have a 300# capacity. Summit is a VERY reputable company. I haven't seen many complaints from summit owners.

Aluminum is deffinatley stronger than steel. You got a first rate stand and should have no worries.

J
Old 09-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

The Goliath is rated for 350 lb. . I don't think you have anything to worry about except falling asleep since it is so comfortable. I don't even mind catching a little shut eye in my Viper unless of course I sleep while a big buck walks past .
Old 09-30-2004, 07:28 PM

Your perfectly fine. Travis Turner (from Realtree) was on Monster Bucks 11 hunting out of one, and he is supposed to weigh right around 500 pounds.

Your stand has a 350# rating, but you have to take into account that "safety standars" are usually tested to 3 times the amount that they are rated. That stand probablly had 1050 pounds on it without any major malfunctions!
Old 09-30-2004, 09:24 PM

The reason summitt waited for years to produce aluminum stands was that the welds would not hold, so they finally came up with a method to interlock the aluminum frame before welding. (Look at how the platform is put together). This makes the fittings stronger than the welds of the steel frames because they are interlocked. If the welds give, the aluminum runners are still interlocked in the frame!!! You will have no problem with the stand. I believe that they are the BEST made stands on the market. Just to let you know, the guys that own the company, run the company, and design the stands are all Engineers from Auburn University. So You are in Good Hands WAR EAGLE!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 09:31 PM

uh, auburn, i wouldn't want to eat french fries someone from auburn made.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:27 AM
Fork Horn

I used my Goliath this season for the first time and i weigh 255# , i was absolutey confident in using that climber, i used it in three different locations and probably up and down trees a dozen times and when set properly not a squeak of any kind out of it,and it is so comfortable to sit in, it was a real thrill just to be up in that climber enjoying all that wildlife with them animals unaware that i was even up there.

Quick Reply: Summit Goliath and Bending?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.