Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 strap-on steps, shoe spikes, or climbing stick >

strap-on steps, shoe spikes, or climbing stick

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

strap-on steps, shoe spikes, or climbing stick

Old 09-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default strap-on steps, shoe spikes, or climbing stick

I've got to increase my hunting territory, I need to buy one of the following strap-on steps, shoe spikes, or climbing stick to get my stand in the tree (out in the boonies). I am considering EZY or deer me Strap on steps. But I wonder about those tree climbing spikes for your boots? Anybody ever use those? Some of those climbing sticks sure look slick, but seem bulky to be carrying very far? How about the Summit Buck Steps?
Old 09-30-2004, 05:17 AM

Default RE: strap-on steps, shoe spikes, or climbing stick

How 'bout a climber? I've never tried the strap on steps or the boot spikes. Climing sticks are bulky. I use screw in steps but not for a same day hunt. I bought a nice climber this year and will be taking that to alot of new locations.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Of all the ones you mentioned, I either prefer the climbing sticks or like Deer902 mentioned, I'd invest in a climbing stand. Climbing stands are easy to pack in and out and if you get the right one, easy to assemble and use plus more comfortable than most lock ons....I use the Ol'man climbers.

The boot spikes, I'd stay away from....they will really tear up a tree and if your not used to them can be very dangerous...trust me, I climb poles for a living. The screw in steps tho practical can be a pain to install....when I used them (I now have sticks), I really worked up a sweat. The strap on steps can be very dangerous as well. If you don't get them tight, they can roll on you and you'll come down and not in a good way. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY BELT, especially one that you can wear while climbing if your using strap on steps.

In this order is my preference:

Climbing treestand.
Loc on with climbing sticks.
Ladder stand
Screw in steps
Strap on steps.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the same problem in one of my public spots which is about a mile in from the road. I much prefer a "climbing stick", Carrying in a climber, my day pack and bow is a little too much.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:46 AM

I have tried all these. I am now using a climber about 70% of the time, especially during the rut. The shoe spikes are terrible. I don't think you'll like them. If I can keep a stand up overnight I like the climbing sticks. I prefer the ones that you can put together on the ground then lean up against the tree. The strap on steps are ok, but until you get your full weight on the step they can slide. My favorite is the climber. I bought a huntertsview from walmart on clearance for about 65 dollars. Its a little heavy but very comfortable.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though I, too, prefer a climber when all things are considered there are some circumstances where a good hang-on is necessary and warranted. I plan on using one the first day of this season as the tree I need to sit in has just too many branches close to the ground making a climber impossible to use.

I tend to prefer the strap on tree steps over your other choices as you can decide how many to take out with you thus saving weight and space in your pack. Their overall size and design definitely makes them very handy to have. Definitely be careful when attaching them though because as Rob stated they can slip if you do not get them snug and level on the tree.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:37 PM
kec

I have the strap on steps..they are a pain in the neck and I only use them when hunting on Federal Land as you are not allowed to penetrate the bark of a tree in my Federal LAnd hunting area. I also have the climbing spikes (lineman spikes - the real deal). I love them. Can climb a tree in blink of an eye. However, they are pretty dangerous to use. I have fallen about 3 times with them (not far-no injuries). If your not careful, the spike can strip the bark and slide down the tree leaving you hanging by the other spike. Also in soft wood trees it can be tough to pull spike out once dug in. I usually bear hug tree & go up then secure safety belt b4 hanging stand. Also ya need to practice w/them a lil bit before heading off to the woods. I have no experience w/climbing sticks but would get the type where the step is enclosed rather than exposed so if there is a fall ya won't rip a limb off on the way down.

just my 2 cents.. hope this helps

KEC
Old 09-30-2004, 03:11 PM

I use the foot spikes and have had no trouble with them; I have never fallen yet (knocks on wood). I am a light guy though at around 150 lbs. They do require some practice and they can place uncomfortable pressure on the ankles but they offer me the most versatility. I can climb any tree anywhere with them; strap myself to the tree and set up my strap-on stand all in about 10 minutes. My stand weighs 10 lbs (compared to much heavier climbing stands) and is smaller and less noisy to carry through the woods than most climbers.

With a climber, you are restricted to trees with no lower limbs and they can slip and cause falls just like any other climbing device. There is a recent thread about some poor guy who broke his back when his climbing stick rolled on him. Bottom line, if you stop paying attention, you can fall and get hurt no matter what you are using to climb the tree.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The tree spikes can be uncomfortable on the ankles, but as mentioned above they can indeed work great. I have a friend that uses them on the vast majority of his set-ups. I have tried them a couple times and found them a little awkward to get used to. Personally I wouldn't want most bulky/heavy climbing sticks either IF I had to actually carry them for a ways. About the only climbing sticks I use when I do have to pack in a little ways is a set of lightweight alum. sticks like the API Quik Stiks..... they are great! I would also choose these over the hang-on steps that you mentioned as well.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think a light weight alternative would be a set of lone wolf climbing sticks and the tree sadle. I have the steps but yet to invest in the tree sadle. I mostly hunt with my climber and lock ons with stick ladders. I am gonna have to seriously consider the tree saddle though.

Quick Reply: strap-on steps, shoe spikes, or climbing stick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.