Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Warning

Old 09-29-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Warning

Don't quite understand how this happens, but apparently it still does.

Btw, don't know the laws in other states but MO doesn't require you to wear hunter orange for bow season. Perhaps they should rethink that.

http://springfield.news-leader.com/n...rm-189134.html
Old 09-29-2004, 07:08 AM

Default RE: Warning

Im in Missouri too. I am very suprised if it was truly an accident. How a man looks like a turkey I dont know. I think more people need to be sure they have clean kill shots before shooting. If you cant even tell its a person, then you dont have a shot. Comes down to personal responsibility. I agree the orange may help the hunter keep from being shot, but it is a huge hinderance when trying to get in close to a deer in archery season.
Stryker777
Typical Buck

That's a truly sad story and I'm sure his friend is devastated. I just have to wonder how the h*** anyone can mistake a man for a turkey......and with a bow? This falls into the realm of the inexcusable.
Giant Nontypical

Almost the same thing happened to my partner last fall. He was walking back from a stand in full camo and had a turkey hunter lift his gun up safety off. Luckily my buddy saw the whole thing developing and yelled to the fellow. It shook him up pretty bad. My advice is to wear something orange while walking at least. I have a reversable had that I use.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Had a guy invite me to go 'bush hunting' with him once. Since I didn't know what that was, I asked. "You see a bush move, you shoot into it and see what falls out."

There are some real nutcases in the woods. Be careful out there!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another hunting season divorce?

I am always uneasy wallking in and out in the dark. Generally I carry a flashlight even if not needed. It's funny that I seem more uneasy during archery than other seasons. I guess dread being sliced and diced by the latest and greatest broadhead.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:21 AM

I'm sure I'll get royally reamed for this, but .... the guy who loosed the arrow should be prosecuted for criminally negligent homocide at the very least.

WTF ? How can you mistake a PERSON for a TURKEY ? (ok, there's probably a lot of turkeys here, but we're not talking about that kind).

What a moron !

One of the most basic rules of hunting is to know your target and what is beyond. This isn't the case of a bullet travelling over a ridge and hitting someone out of the line of sight - this was a friggin BOW. The shooter had to be close - within what, 20 yards ? If your eyes are so bad that you can't distingush the difference between a human and a turkey at 20 - or even 50 yards, you have no place in the woods.

Total negligence, just like waiving a loaded gun around.

Irresponsible, ignorant, incomprehensable, and inexcusable.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people truely are idiots. Accident or not I think the guy deserves to go to jail. Let him go think about that stupid ass mistake that cost another human being thier life for a few years. At the very very very least it is involuntary manslaughter and he ought to be charged accordingly. "I didn't mean to", is not an excuse for taking a life. For you guys that are going to jump in and say well that could have happened to anyone..... Well no it couldn't have happened to me. I am not going to be shooting an anything that I can't tell what it is. What this guy did was criminal negligence and I hope they throw the book at him and then walk over and pick it up and slap him with it a few times.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:27 AM

Just for the record I agree with the ones that say he should go to jail. It is still being investigated and another guy I work with told me this morning that the arrow went all the way through him, suggesting he was within at most 20 yards. The article did say the guy was crouching but I still don't get how you could mistake a crouching man for a turkey. Let alone be out in the woods with someone and not know where they are. That's one of the first rules I go by when out in the woods, if I'm with someone else, I know where they are.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:28 AM

Incredible. More incredible is how often this actually happens. You hear stories like this every year. Years ago my uncle worked for a guy that was mistaken for a deer by an old man. Shot on the tailgate of his truck, TWICE.

Quick Reply: Warning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.