Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will you take a straight downward shot? >

Will you take a straight downward shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will you take a straight downward shot?

Old 09-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will you take a straight downward shot?

I have killed them this way in the past, you may only get one lung, but let them go long enough and I guarantee you will have a great blood trail. I just let them go for 2-3 hours before going to find them if they don't crash in sight. The last time I did this, I only got one lung on a big doe, and she only ran 30 yards before piling up. I would not recommend doing this though unless you have practiced it a lot.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have killed them this way in the past, you may only get one lung, but let them go long enough and I just let them go for 2-3 hours before going to find them if they don't crash in sight. The last time I did this, I only got one lung on a big doe, and she only ran 30 yards before piling up. I would not recommend doing this though unless you have practiced it a lot.
Wow, Rick, you would purposely take a shot at one lung. I'm speechless. It might be more ethical to shoot at the liver. Not that I would take either.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:19 AM

What do you do when the arrow sticks in the sternum or ribs and doesn't pass through. I would not believe there would be much of a blood trail.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be completely honest every one that I shot like this was in reality 4-5 yards from the base of my stand, and came in from behind me. When they got to 4-5 yards in front of my stand, they were slightly quartering away. I have killed 3 deer like this, 2 of which I managed to take out one lung and the heart, and one of which I only got one lung. All 3 deer were killed humanely and none ran more than 75 yards max, the single lung was amazingly enough the one that dropped the quickest. Every single one was a complete pass through as well, and I don't exactly shoot the fastest bow out there. I shoot a 425 grain arrow at around 240fps with mechanicals. I have only had one deer that I didn't have a pass through on, and that was a 40 yard shot that hit a shoulder blade. I don't shoot 40 yards anymore at deer for that reason.

With that said, I do not think I would take a shot that was literally at the base of my stand, it would have to be a few yards out.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it three times, and twice the exit hole was plugged by gravity forcing innards downward and into the exit hole. One went about 80 yards and the others were down pretty quickly, one in its tracks.

I am NOT a fan of this shot. These shots were many years ago, and not I'll wait for the deer to get away from me.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just can't see a good enough reason why I would want to take this shot.
Any possible outcome of that deer leaving is going to produce a much better shot
Old 09-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have noticed that many here have replied confidently that a better shot will develope. I'm just wondering what types of setups you are using. I would have to assume that they are in the open. I just can't imagine myself, with the types of setups that I use that I would have complete confidence in that.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thought about it some more...

Lets say, just for the sake of argument...

I am hunting with a thick thick thickett behind and around me and a hedgerow in the front. I'm in the only tree in the area, which happens to be a giant white oak dropping mad acorns and the Illinois Record Buck has just walked in undetected and is eating acorns directly below me. If he walks 10 feet in any direction then there is absolutely no shot but he is calm and presents a "good" straight down shot now.

Assuming I have practiced this shot before (which I haven't) and my heart is still beating inside my chest instead of hanging out my throat, then Yes - I would probably take the shot.

Then yall could ridicule me all the way to the bank
Old 09-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

let me ask a question? 1st let me say i wouldn't take this shot as I haven't practiced it.

But really your best shot from this angle, is at the spine correct? A target of approximately 1.5" diameter give or take.

AT this point wouldn't a head shot be more prudent? Hit or miss it's over without wounding. NOW I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS TYPE OF SHOT, just theoretically asking.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:35 PM

I would rather not take a shot directly underneath me. I hunt mostly 20-30ft high and I prefer to wait till they walk 10yds or so away from the base of my tree or let it walk. I no longer take shots that I know might end up in a long track or lost deer. The older I get it seems the more I respect my prey.

Quick Reply: Will you take a straight downward shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.