HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Will you take a straight downward shot?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will you take a straight downward shot?

To be completely honest every one that I shot like this was in reality 4-5 yards from the base of my stand, and came in from behind me. When they got to 4-5 yards in front of my stand, they were slightly quartering away. I have killed 3 deer like this, 2 of which I managed to take out one lung and the heart, and one of which I only got one lung. All 3 deer were killed humanely and none ran more than 75 yards max, the single lung was amazingly enough the one that dropped the quickest. Every single one was a complete pass through as well, and I don't exactly shoot the fastest bow out there. I shoot a 425 grain arrow at around 240fps with mechanicals. I have only had one deer that I didn't have a pass through on, and that was a 40 yard shot that hit a shoulder blade. I don't shoot 40 yards anymore at deer for that reason.

With that said, I do not think I would take a shot that was literally at the base of my stand, it would have to be a few yards out.