Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too early for scents?? >

Too early for scents??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too early for scents??

Old 09-27-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Too early for scents??

Ok, I'm a shotgunner converted to bow and wouldn't go back!! This will be my first bowhunting season. Just wondering what types of scent tactics people use this early in the season. I'm used to hunting during the rut (mid Nov.), so to be honest, I don't use that many scents.

I've read a few good articles, one in Cabela's outfitter journal about pre-rut scent tactics and got some good ideas. I'm just inexperienced this early in the season. I don't want to use anything that going to mess up my hunting area.

What types of scent tactics do people use this time of season - drag rags, scent wicks and what scents are used.

Thanks for any response.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too early for scents??

This early you could use regular buck or doe scent on a drag rag. good luck!! opener is 3 days away!!
Old 09-27-2004, 07:48 PM

This early you could use regular buck or doe scent on a drag rag.
So it's too early for doe-in-estrus scent? The author of the article I read uses this even early in the season, but I kinda feel it's a little early.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know about that but i start using doe in estrus late oct.--early nov.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:32 PM

some does will indeed come into heat a might earlier then the rest though! dont really know how much earlier but the 1st of october is to early in my mind. The only secent i use is my dirt cover scent and the smell of my cofee. It works well. I would just sit back and enjoy the early activity. Wait for the rut and get out your buck urine, rattles and a grunt call. The big guy is just around the corner! GL
Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is too early for the doe in heat scent! I hear of guys using them early on in the season but I think it has a negative affect. When a doe smells that scent it sends her away from that area. I would use just a regular doe or buck urine. Use your drag rag on a covered trails to mask your scent or cross a trail and something may follow. Early in the year you should have the buck picked out that your are hunting. You should know his routine and what scrap line he is hitting. If you are not you sure you are just rolling the dice and hoping that he may cross your path. Keep your head up kid things only get better. This site is a great place to start.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:15 PM

The best scent is no scent this time of year. Just hunt the food and you'll be ok. Using scents too early decreases their effectiveness later on when you can really use it.